It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Korean cat and dog meat. Please sign this petition.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:12 pm 

There are no words to describe the cat and dog meat trade in Korea and elsewhere. To say it's barbaric just doesn't come close.
There are several petitions going round trying to ban it or at least introduce some sort of animal welfare law that will ensure these poor creatures are treated better and things are improving VERY slowly.

Below is a petition to boycott The World Veterinary Congress due to take place there this year. I would be sincerely grateful if you could sign it.

https://www.change.org/p/boycott-the-wo ... m=copylink

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Korean cat and dog meat. Please sign this petition.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:15 pm 

There are many prejudices on the consumption of different animals, pork, shellfish, grubs, rabbits, dogs, cats, cattle, dairy products, broccoli.
I personally would not choose to eat cat dog or broccoli. Two because of the fact I have kept and still do have them as a part of a family group, the third because of the taste :ymsick:

To single out 2 species of animal as being sacrosanct on the basis of they are particularly good at being pets is illogical.

Why should one group force their beliefs on dietary rules enforce those rules on another group ?

However I do support a ban on cannibalism ( but I cannot justify logically that view)

Or is the whole movement merely anti Korea/China plus any other country/customs that we do not understand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:07 pm 

I've heard your argument zillions of times.

But for the record -

It is because they are cats and dogs that the brutality is particularly barbaric. These animals are strung up and beaten with sticks in the belief that the adrenaline coursing through their bodies make them taste better.
Then they are either burned to death with a blow torch, thrown into a vat of boiling water ALIVE or just have their throats slit and left to die in a corner.
The photos on the petition should give you an idea of the sheer barbarity inflicted on them. If you want more I can provide you with plenty including videos.

Regardless of how you feel about whether we should interfere in other customs, eating meat, that they are pets, or animals in general, these are sentient beings who do not deserve to be treated this way under any circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:09 pm 

Isn't the issue the cruelty they are subjected to whilst they are alive more than the meal they make when they are dead?

edit: crosspost with browneyes

J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:42 am 

Some people keep rabbits as pets.

I've seen some awful treatment of animals on my travels but the worst was the treatment of sheep just before the fête de eid in Maroc. Just horrific.
I am ashamed to say that last week I put a living creature into a vat of boiling water, cooked it and ate it. ( lobster)
All cultures do horrible things to animals. I think the main problem is there are just too many humans on this planet now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

scooby wrote:
I think the main problem is there are just too many humans on this planet now.

Something on the radio last week suggested that the global average birth rate had more or less halved over the last 20-30 years from ~5 to ~2.5, suggesting it won't be long until it hits 2, at which point the global population stops growing. If the trend continues past that then within my lifetime the global population may well begin to shrink.

Medieval views on women and contraception (in particular) from some governments and religious leaders is the major stumbling block.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:38 am 

If you want to do something to help animals (or any other charity) please help by doing this:
https://www.giveasyoulive.com/dashboard

Every time you want to get something from Amazon, Ebay or lots of other sites, log into the above and go from there to Amazon etc. It will cost you nothing, but the charity of your choice gets a cut. My own choice is SPANA (Society for the Protection of Animals Abroad), which helps beasts of burden. It looks after the animals and helps the owners, who would otherwise not have the money to pay vet's bills, and would lose their incomes. Every penny helps, and if you remember to do it whenever you buy on the internet you will soon rack up quite a lot of contributions. If we all did this it could make a tremendous difference.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:09 am 

Elstow wrote:
If you want to do something to help animals (or any other charity) please help by doing this:
https://www.giveasyoulive.com/dashboard

Every time you want to get something from Amazon, Ebay or lots of other sites, log into the above and go from there to Amazon etc. It will cost you nothing, but the charity of your choice gets a cut. My own choice is SPANA (Society for the Protection of Animals Abroad), which helps beasts of burden. It looks after the animals and helps the owners, who would otherwise not have the money to pay vet's bills, and would lose their incomes. Every penny helps, and if you remember to do it whenever you buy on the internet you will soon rack up quite a lot of contributions. If we all did this it could make a tremendous difference.

+1.

Been with Giveasyoulive for some years now. :)