It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: A topical question concerning the airbrushing of faith
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:23 pm 

I genuinely don't know what to think about this.

Every year, the National Trust holds events at their properties which sees hundreds of thousands of children search for chocolate eggs. In previous years it has been called an "Easter Egg Trail", however this year it has been renamed the "Great British Egg Hunt". Cadbury, which sponsors the event, said that it wanted to appeal to non-Christians, saying: "We invite people from all faiths and none to enjoy our seasonal treats."

Not everyone is happy. A spokesman for the Church of England said: "This marketing campaign...highlights the folly in airbrushing faith from Easter." It also angered no less a dignitary than the Archbishop of York, who said: "The Cadburys were Great Quaker industrialists. If people visited Birmingham today in the Cadbury World they will discover how Cadbury’s Christian faith influenced his industrial output. He built houses for all his workers, he built a Church, he made provision for schools. It is obvious that for him Jesus and justice were two sides of the one coin. To drop Easter from Cadbury’s Easter Egg Hunt in my book is tantamount to spitting on the grave of Cadbury."

On the one hand I get annoyed by people who get annoyed on behalf of other people who haven't said that they are annoyed. Why should the word "easter" upset people of other faiths or none? It describes a movable date in the Christian calender, but it also describes the bank holiday weekend. If you are not going to let your children have a fun day out hunting for chocolate eggs because the word "easter" is offensive to you, then you are just a miserable sod who needs to get his/her priorities right. Having said that, what evidence is there that anyone actually makes this choice on behalf of their children? As far as I know, there may be jews or muslims who might object to chocolate eggs because they are not kosher or halal, but that is because of their dietary laws, not because of the word "easter".

On the other hand, what the hell has a chocolate egg got to do with the death and resurrection of Jesus? The revisionist idea that cracking open an egg represents the opening of the tomb seems bonkers, especially as eggs have been painted since pre-christian times, and Iranians and others have decorated eggs on Nowruz, the Iranian New Year that falls on the spring equinox and have done this for thousands of years. I'm sure that children enjoying the hunt and then tucking into some chocolate have no idea other than that it was fun and tasty.

So, are Cadburys right to seek not to offend those of other faiths or of none, are Christians right to get upset at yet another erosion of faith, or should everyone just recognise that chocolate eggs have nothing to do with Jesus and get on with letting their children run around gardens in search of chocolate?

I won't bring the question of obesity and type 2 diabetes into this - its complicated enough already.

Post subject: Re: A topical question concerning the airbrushing of faith
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:54 pm 

Questionable political correctness as far as this cradle-Catholic-now-atheist is concerned. I have no quarrel with Easter, Paques, Christmas, Hanokkah or the various solstices.
In France, a secular state, most of the public holidays are Christian festivals. I haven't heard much bleating about that from Jews or Muslims.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm 

Cadbury's founder, John Cadbury, was a Quaker - and Quakers don't celebrate Easter as special days. So the "turning in his grave" nonsense spouted by some just does not fly!

But as you say, Easter Eggs are just a pagan hangover - so why get hung-up on them?

Personally I think the quality and quantity of the product since the Kraft takeover has deteriorated - so I do not buy them for that reason (and the waistline).

J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 pm 

Yet another sign of the UK wanting to please all of the people all of the time and not doing so.
Why must UK always do this, if you go to live in another country don't you live by their customs and laws.
Obviously not as far as the UK is concerned.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Do-gooders and busy bodies, who are probably themselves Christians, never ask the people of other faiths whether they are offended or not. They just assume, and wallow in their piety. Many non-Christians are not rigid in what they wear, eat or drink and couldn't give a toss - and probably happily join in the festivities.

I think it's sad that these religious festivals have become an excuse for commercial hype.

If the "season" is "Easter", why delete it ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 pm 

reminds me of this (sorry to those who have seen it beofre!):

MEMO TO ALL EMPLOYEES
RE: Christmas PARTY ON DEC. 23RD
DATE: DEC. 1ST

I’m happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23, starting at noon in the banquet room at Luigi’s Open Pit Barbecue. No-host bar, but plenty of eggnog! We’ll have a small band playing traditional carols…feel free to sing along. And don’t be surprised if our CEO shows up dressed as Santa Claus! A Christmas tree will be lit at 1:00 P.M. Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time, however, no gift should be over $10.00 to make the giving of gifts easy for everyone’s pockets. This gathering is only for employees! A special announcement will be made by our CEO at that time!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Patty

TO: All Employees
DATE: December 2
RE: Holiday Party

In no way was yesterday’s memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees.

We recognize that Chanukah is an important holiday which often coincides with Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on we’re calling it our “Holiday Party.” The same policy
applies to employees who are celebrating Kwanzaa at this time. There will be no Christmas tree present. No Christmas carols sung. We will have other type of music for your enjoyment.

Happy now?

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Patty

DATE: December 3

Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table … you didn’t sign your name. I’m happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, “AA Only”; you wouldn’t be anonymous anymore. How am I supposed to handle this? Somebody?

Forget about the gifts exchange, no gifts exchange are allowed since the union members feel that $10.00 is too much money and executives believe $10.00 is very little for a gift. NO GIFTS EXCHANGE WILL BE
ALLOWED.

To: All Employees
DATE: December 7

What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20 begins the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees’ beliefs. Perhaps Luigi’s can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party — the days are so short this time of year — or else package everything for take home in little foil swans. Will that work?

Meanwhile, I’ve arranged for members of Overeaters Anonymous to sit farthest from the dessert buffet and pregnant women will get the table closest to the restrooms. Gays are allowed to sit with each other. Lesbians do not have to sit with Gay men, each will have their own table. Yes, there will be flower arrangement for the Gay men’s table. To the person asking permission to cross dress, no cross dressing allowed though. We will have booster seats for short people. Low-fat food will be available for those on a diet. We cannot control the salt used in the food we suggest for those people with high blood problems to taste first. There will be fresh fruits as dessert for Diabetics, the restaurant cannot supply “No Sugar” desserts. Sorry!

Did I miss anything?

Patty

DATE: December 8

So December 22 marks the Winter Solstice…what do you expect me to do, a tap-dance on your heads? Fire regulations at Luigi’s prohibit the burning of sage by our “earth-based Goddess-worshiping” employees, but we’ll try to accommodate your shamanic drumming circle during the band’s breaks. Okay???

Patty

To: All Employees
Date: December 9

People, people, nothing sinister was intended by having our CEO dress up like Santa Claus! Even if the anagram of “Santa” does happen to be “Satan,” there is no evil connotation to our own “little man in a red suit.” It’s a tradition, folks, like sugar shock at Halloween or family feuds over the thanksgiving turkey or broken hearts on Valentine’s Day.

Could we lighten up? Please????????? Also the company has changed their mind in announcing the special announcement at the gathering. You will get a notification in the mail sent to your home.

TO: All #%&$**@ Employees
DATE: December 10
RE: The %#*&^%@*%^Holiday Party

I have no #%&*@*^ idea what the announcement is all about. What the %#&^!@ do I care…I KNOW WHAT I AM GOING TO GET!!!!!!!!!!!! You change your address now and you are dead!!!!!!!!!!!! No more changes of address will be allowed in my office. Try to come in and change your address, I will have you hung from the ceiling in the warehouse!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarians!?!?!? I’ve had it with you people!!! We’re going to keep this party at Luigi’s Open Pit Barbecue whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the “grill of death,” as you so quaintly put it, and you’ll get your #$%^&*! salad bar, including hydroponic tomatoes. But you know, they have feelings, too. Tomatoes scream when you slice them. I’ve heard them scream. I’m hearing them scream right now! > HA !

I hope you all have a rotten holiday! Drive drunk and die, you hear me!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bitch from HELL!!!!!!!!

DATE: December 14
RE: Patty Lewis and Holiday Party

I’m sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery from her stress-related illness and I’ll continue to forward your cards to her at the sanitarium. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd off with full pay.

Happy Holidays!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

I like it !

I see Theresa May has just said how ridiculous it was of the National Trust to drop the word "Easter". Good on yer, gal :-bd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 pm 

Except they didn't drop the word Easter. It was all over their advertising. If Cadbury call their egg a chocolate egg rather than an Easter egg they can sell them all year round..hence chocolate eggs are not just for Easter = more money for Cadbury. I think it's a non story. What other news are they trying to bury today?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:00 pm 

I put this move of Cadbury down to the preferred faith of Market Forces.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:24 pm 

I cannot believe that a new invented superstition gets upset when it's appropriation of an even older superstition and gets publicity!!!!

There are enough problems in the world without giving the oxygen of publicity to these cults, I hope I spelt that correctly :))

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:38 pm 

I don't imagine that any of this has anything to do with the fact that Cadbury is now part of an American conglomerate.

Beyond that thought I struggle to get excited by the non-news.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Chocolate eggs have nothing to do with the true meaning of Easter. TM jumped in before she saw the facts and now has egg on her face, arf, arf.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:46 am 

Bayleaf wrote:
Chocolate eggs have nothing to do with the true meaning of Easter. TM jumped in before she saw the facts and now has egg on her face, arf, arf.

Ouch....

Good one, niemeyjt. Hadn't seen it before but it's both funny and sad. There's too much trying-to-please-everyone and countries are losing their identity/quirkiness along the way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:57 am 

Bayleaf wrote:

She must be eggsasperated.

J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Good yoke! 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:18 am 

Now my mind is all Scrambled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 am 

Where'd y'all poach those dreadful puns from?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:59 pm 

Originally, the easter bunny was a hare (Osterhase in the original German). Hence the harebrushing of faith referred to (I'll get my coat).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:53 pm 

MAD87 wrote:

Grammar Mad grammar.

Surely it's -- from where did you all poach those puns.

Thread cross. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Or

Whence did you all poach those puns ?

;))

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:53 pm 

Jeepers...
or apun my word

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:18 am 

And still no mention of easter:
Attachment:
sun1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I don't quite know what to say to that .... though in my previous job, we dealt with people who stuck all sorts of weird objects in weird places :shock:
(we generally passed them over to the ambulance folk :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 pm 

Obviously, the new Creme eggs are not all they are cracked up to be.

J

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:31 pm 

Blaze wrote:

But not till you saw the whites of their eyes no doubt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:46 pm 

niemeyjt wrote:
Obviously, the new Creme eggs are not all they are cracked up to be.

J

Papibryn wrote:
Blaze wrote:

But not till you saw the whites of their eyes no doubt

I'm holding my head in my hands...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:46 pm 

Their coming to take me away in the morning.
Good job we had a great birthday meal at the Vietnamese restaurant in Bergerac this evening.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 pm 

Papibryn wrote:
Their coming to take me away in the morning.and put me in the funny farm.
Good job we had a great birthday meal at the Vietnamese restaurant in Bergerac this evening.

Grammar Digby

OK slip of the fingers.

( They are.). They're

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 am 

MAD87 wrote:

hot cross puns ?