It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 9:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Draft proofing?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:37 pm 

How do 'you' draft proof sliding patio doors?

We have a total length of 14.5 metres of sliding doors across the front of our house and if not proofed there's a nice draft comes through the underside of them! Several years back I had a thought (it does happen occasionally?) as to how to stop the gap, so to speak. I bought several lengths of the tubular grey foam pipe insulation for 25mm pipes. That was cut in 1/2 then 1/2 again giving me 1/4s (good at maths too) . The 1/4 lengths are the perfect fit to go in the gap in the rails of the outer rail doors, between the inner and outer rails. Then the inner rail doors, I cut some 1/4s in half again to give me some thin strips that drop nicely in the slot left inside the inner rail and the floor.

Job jobbed and at about 80 centimes a 1 metre length for the insulation tubes it has to be well worth thr few minutes, and centimes, to do the job!!

Good 'ere init :ymhug: :ymhug:

My woodturing
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Post subject: Re: Draft proofing?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 am 
Site Admin

Now that sounds good, Jonzjob :-bd
This house had PVC windows put in by the previous owners. For the mot part, they work well. But there is a small casement window halfway up the stairs to one of the attics and I noticed a whistling draught coming from it during some high winds a week or so ago. On close inspection, it seems the window frame has not been put in very well - there is no draught sealing around it. Then the casement itself also doesn't seem to be a brilliant fit. The window doesn't have an air vent which in this particular case isn't necessary - the house is old and far from airtight !

My temporary solution was to fill the small recess with bits of foam, having stuffed newspaper around the worst bits of the window frame. It's certainly solved the problem for the moment - the main landing was always cold and now it's nice and warm !

The pipe insulation sounds a rather better way of dealing with the problem so we'll have a look at it when it's warm enough to remove my temporary barricade !