It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Camping cars near Carcassonne
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:17 pm 

If you are heading for the camping car place along the Canal du Midi at Trebes just East of Carcassonne then don't!

The Mairie, in their wisdom (?), have closed the piece of road that the camping cars have used for years! They have also covered the toilet emptying point there so there are no facilities available now.

I asked in the Tourist Info office at the port and they told me that they thought that it was due to the degredation of the road surface. If that is the reason then it would seem to be a much better bet to resurface the road instead of stopping anything up to 15 or so camping cars from visiting the town. It was a very popular place and very often full through the summer and busy in the winter too.

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Post subject: Re: Camping cars near Carcassonne
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:57 am 
Hi John,
they probably had done their sums and found that it didn't pay to provide holliday "park ups " for Camping Cars. I'm not going to get into a debate on the use of these municipal owned sites, I'm a caravanner myself. Heres the situation where we live.
Our small village south of Saumur on the Rue Nationale provides 6 Emplacements free of charge for Camping Cars ( I believe for one night only ) there are clean water/waste water/toilets/emtying points available. the six emplacements were set in bays along the side of our lovely river Layon. What spoils it for every one is ( and we all know every French man and his dog has a camping car ) is that most days and evenings when we as villagers wish to stroll down to the picnic spot by the river, we can't get near it for up to 15 Camping Cars and sometimes Caravans ( which aren't allowed ).Our village has a 4 star Camping and Caravan site within 150 mtrs of our Aire, but these " freeloaders " in there 50,000k + units would sooner churn up grass and park here for days on end totaly oblivious.We as a village cannot afford to give freely up to 100 ltrs of water and take the same amount of waste from as stated up to sometimes as many as 15 units.If all Caravanners took it on them selves to "just park up"where ever they fancy we'd all be called Did's or worse. Again I don't want to get into a debate on the rights and wrongs of Camping Car or Caravan use, but some leave them selves open to be questioned.Catch ya later,indoors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:10 pm 

Hi Indoors, this particular place is a 1/4 mile ish bit of road alongside the canal. Once it is full there is not anything else really. This makes it a good limit. The parking was restricted to one side of the road too so there couldn't be overcrowding. Shops at the end of the road that lead to the place were quite varied and almost everything can be got there. At least 2 restaurants are in the port at the begining of the road, so all was very close and as i said earlier it was well used and bought trade to the town. They didn't seem to misuse it and apart from the road needed resurfacing it was always tidy and quite clean.

The expression that comes to my mind first is "see foot, shoot it"?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:12 pm 

Hi Indoors, this particular place is a 1/4 mile ish bit of road alongside the canal. Once it is full there is not anything else really. This makes it a good limit. The parking was restricted to one side of the road too so there couldn't be overcrowding. Shops at the end of the road that lead to the place were quite varied and almost everything can be got there. At least 2 restaurants are in the port at the begining of the road, so all was very close and as i said earlier it was well used and bought trade to the town. They didn't seem to misuse it and apart from the road needed resurfacing it was always tidy and quite clean.

The expression that comes to my mind first is "see foot, shoot it"?

I forgt to add that we have been campers and caravaners too and will have a caravan again when we have finished looking around here. That could take a while and we have been here almost 5 years now!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 pm 

indoors wrote:
Hi John,
they probably had done their sums and found that it didn't pay to provide holliday "park ups " for Camping Cars. I'm not going to get into a debate on the use of these municipal owned sites, I'm a caravanner myself. Heres the situation where we live.
Our small village south of Saumur on the Rue Nationale provides 6 Emplacements free of charge for Camping Cars ( I believe for one night only ) there are clean water/waste water/toilets/emtying points available. the six emplacements were set in bays along the side of our lovely river Layon. What spoils it for every one is ( and we all know every French man and his dog has a camping car ) is that most days and evenings when we as villagers wish to stroll down to the picnic spot by the river, we can't get near it for up to 15 Camping Cars and sometimes Caravans ( which aren't allowed ).Our village has a 4 star Camping and Caravan site within 150 mtrs of our Aire, but these " freeloaders " in there 50,000k + units would sooner churn up grass and park here for days on end totaly oblivious.We as a village cannot afford to give freely up to 100 ltrs of water and take the same amount of waste from as stated up to sometimes as many as 15 units.If all Caravanners took it on them selves to "just park up"where ever they fancy we'd all be called Did's or worse. Again I don't want to get into a debate on the rights and wrongs of Camping Car or Caravan use, but some leave them selves open to be questioned.Catch ya later,indoors.

Check out the four pages of replies to this post in another place!!!!!!
Isnt there anything new?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 pm 

A link to the other thread would be good Retread?

The place was shut because there are dozens of HUGE platan trees to come down because of fungal disease problems. Such a terrible shame, but the Tupperware tubs (hire boats) are still allowed to stop under the same trees! It's been shut for well over a year now and still no sign of anything happening!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 pm 

I should ask 'Indoors' I've got to pack the Camping Panzer for more trips out terrorising the distant picnickers!!! ;-)

Never mind here it is:- http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89278 hope the link works

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:34 pm 
Retread wrote:
indoors wrote:
Hi John,

Check out the four pages of replies to this post in another place!!!!!!
Isnt there anything new?

Hi all,
12 months of Trolling and all you can do is carry on where you left off. 3 pages not 4, and 90% of that was a load of rubbish from camping car owners, nothing to do with the OP, which was informative and fact. God you are slow!!! indoors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:42 pm 

[quote="indoors]Hi all,
12 months of Trolling and all you can do is carry on where you left off. 3 pages not 4, and 90% of that was a load of rubbish from camping car owners, nothing to do with the OP, which was informative no it wasnt and fact as you see it. God you are slow!!! indoors.[/quote]

12 months later and you're still posting the same biased rubbish almost word for word.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
Kiddies, Kiddies pick up your toys, kiss and make up, otherwise this posting will be going where naughty children go to, if you cannot post anything other than slagging each other off, please don't post

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:48 pm 
Retread wrote:
[quote="indoors]Hi all,
12 months of Trolling and all you can do is carry on where you left off. 3 pages not 4, and 90% of that was a load of rubbish from camping car owners, nothing to do with the OP, which was informative no it wasnt and fact as you see it. God you are slow!!! indoors.[/quote]

12 months later and you're still posting the same biased rubbish almost word for word.[/quote]

The reason I left the said forum, was because people were allowed to print anything they wished on any thread they wished, with no rellevance to the OP .I would like to ask Peake the moderator to read what was posted on the " other Forum " and digest the replies by others. It might also be handy if you read other threads in the Camping and Caravaning section on this forum, which I have not taken part in, but "Kiddies" have. indoors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:01 am 
Site Admin

What other forums say is no concern of this forum. What is written here is.
If any of you have a point to make, write an original posting here and please do not drag spats and disagreements across from other forums to this forum by reference or quote.

Otherwise this topic will go to the Pen !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:23 am 

An update on the situation in Trebes.

There are now several plaques telling people that the trees are diseased and basically they will have to come down. They have know this situation for well over a year now and just decided to tell what is happening. There are a lot of places where this is happening and the Canal du Midi looks sad when the trees are removed. 200 had to come down near us a couple of years back, very sad!

Instead of putting this in the pen if these people carry on, wouldn't it be better just to remove the offending posts Blaze?

After all, there are a lot of camping car people who can still benefit from knowing that the place at Trebes is now closed. (pronounced Trebe by the way ;-) )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:50 am 

No need for removal of any posts John.

Your last post has explained the position quite clearly. Those contributors with an interest will I'm sure, skip through the irrelevant posts.

Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:33 pm 

Jonzjob wrote:
An update on the situation in Trebes.

There are now several plaques telling people that the trees are diseased and basically they will have to come down. They have know this situation for well over a year now and just decided to tell what is happening. There are a lot of places where this is happening and the Canal du Midi looks sad when the trees are removed. 200 had to come down near us a couple of years back, very sad!

I guess we will soon lose images like this

Taken just outside Beziers on the road to Valras......good parking off the road!!!

Last edited by Blaze on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reduced photo size

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:49 pm 

After 200 trees are cut down it looks like this at Ecluse l'Eveque near Villedubert.

The canal is drained due to work being carried out over the 2 months it's closed.

The place at Trebes used to be as busy as this

And now it looks like this

Most of those trees will have to come down soon and that makes me feel like this

Not quite that bad, but! :shock: That is a saw in his hand!!!

If you get to the ecluse at Puicheric you will see that statue there along with a load of others, including a crockodile on the way into the lock! The eclusier is a bit of a sculpture and has quite a sense of humour!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:39 pm 

An update on the trees. At last they have planted about 83 trees at Trebes, a few weeks back now, but there is still no camping car access and as they have removed the water filling and toilet emptying fascility I assume that's how it will stay? Above is what it was like and I took this a short while ago. It is the same stretch as the one above with the camping cars on!

Almost all of the trees have a lable on them confirming that they are canker resistant, so lets just hope they're right!

Today we saw another sad sight just East of the ecluses at the Fresquel river crossing. There are 55 trees on the South ban and 35 have been marked and ring barked with chainsaws, so they will be coming down before the seasons starts I think? So very sad. I will try to get a photo and post it before hand.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Jonzjob, for posting photographs of what they're doing to the trees on the Canal du Midi.
I went from Bordeaux through to Port la Nouvelle on a 35 ft Lion class sloop years ago (no, not sailing !) and our draught was a bit touch and go at times. It was such a beautiful part of the world and the trees lining the Canal were so impressive.

Unfortunately disease seems to be hitting various types of tree and it's heartbreaking to have to cut them down. But I'm glad to see they are replanting - just a question of waiting for a few years until they reach a respectable size ....

It does look an awful lot nicer without the camping cars ...... ;)