It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Lille - any tips?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:50 pm 

I'm planning on a day trip to Lille on the Eurostar with an old friend in late November, does anyone have any suggestions of good places for lunch, places to see etc?

thanks.

Post subject: Re: Lille - any tips?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:00 pm 
See the Palais des Beaux Arts - a great art gallery.
http://www.pba-lille.fr/

And the Grand'Place and Vieux Lille, all around the Place

A good restaurant: http://lecompostelle.fr/

If it's a Sunday, Wazemmes market. Even on weekdays the covered market is good and you can eat good Thai etc food in the square around it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 pm 
Stay on the train until Bruxelles!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:15 pm 
I have always liked Lille. Although I have been there many times I would not claim to know it well.

As you exit the station there is an an expanse of concrete and facing you is the giant shopping complex. I would give this a miss! It might be worth browsing if you have time before your train back. It does have a few quirky, interesting shops plus a huge Carrefour. I don't think the Christmas market starts before early December although that is worth a visit.

If you pass by the shopping complex on your left you will get to Lille Flanders station with the fountain outside. It is by a four way cross roads. The road to your left takes you past a very old church and then onto more shops. Straight ahead is another road which takes you past yet more shops and onto a large plaza. Macdonalds is now on your left but I would not recommend that for lunch. To your right is the old town with so many places to eat. There is also quite a number of lovely little shops ranging from clothes, knick knacks and chocolate shops (to die for)

They are very keen to promote tourism in Lille. You may well find people handing out maps on the street otherwise I would recommend a visit to the Tourist Information office. It can also be very cold in November (or raining)

Just seen Opalette's posting and so agree about the Palais des Beaux Arts

As for Papachappa's posting - did you know there is a museum of chocolate in Brussels?

They will say to be back to catch the Eurostar half an hour before departure. Don't be too early as Lille Station is cold and very draughty.

I hope you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:49 pm 

Thanks for all the info. I haven't seen my friend in over a year as she works in Turkey, I expect if it's very cold we'll hunker down in a restaurant and eat and drink and catch up!! The chocolate shops sound very tempting :)

As for staying on the train to Brussels - I'd love to as I've not been there yet but we just won't have time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:08 pm 

Lille is a great city. Lots of things to do and visit. You must go to the tourist information office (place Rihour, not far from Grand' Place). That's a nice start your visit of "le vieux Lille". Get a guided tour, they are really interesting - otherwise you miss out on a lot of stuff - such as the canon balls still embedded in the walls of some of the older houses opposite the Chambre de Commerce, dating back to the siege of Lille by the Austrians.
Yes, the Palais des Beaux Arts is really nice (especially if the weather's not too good - though you can still get some quite mild weather in November).
There are lots of good places to eat - try and get hold of the "Chti" (that's the local "petit futé"). I would have recommended the "Compagnons de la Grappe" - but that's for summer eating, outside under the fig tree (yes, fig tree !!! in Lille).
Hope you have a lovely time.