It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Where to buy wood in the Morvan?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hi,

We live in the Morvan National Park, near Brassy. When we first moved here there were 2 wood selling businesses. We used one guy for 2 years. He was very reliable and always delivered well seasoned wood, and on time. He has recently retired, so we have moved on to the second guy. The new seller's wood is also of very good quality but he is extremely unreliable, only delivering when, and if, he fancies. Consequently, we are presently quite cold and in a bit of a quandary. All our neighbours appear to have a regular supply of well seasoned wood, so we can only presume that they are supplied by local farmers/friends.
The Morvan has got to be one of the most forested areas of France and many businesses are concerned with the production of wood, so why is it so difficult to find someone who is willing to sell us wood for our stove? If anyone has the answer, or knows of a wood supplier reasonably close to Brassy, or someone willing to deliver to our area, we would be eternally grateful.

Yours ( a bit chilly! )

Sue.

Post subject: Re: Where to buy wood in the Morvan?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:41 pm 
Hi Sue

We live in the Morvan but unfortunately not in the same area as you, so no use in passing on any contacts.

We have problems sometimes, I think it's advisable to order enough wood in the summer months (as the French seem to do), but we always leave it too late. My solution for the past 2 years has been to ask my neighbour to call the man who supplies the wood, always comes next day when he does, when I've called myself it's always longer, same with some friends who have a holiday home near us.

Maybe you could do the same or ask at the Mairie? Sorry I can't be more helpful and good luck! This year I'm definitely ordering the wood in the summer - also better as it dries out more.

Julie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:38 pm 

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right; we should definitely stock up in the summer! Everyone else has a huge wood pile all year round, whereas ours only appears at the beginning of winter. Guess it's all part of the "moving to France" learning curve.
We still find it odd though, that wood is so difficult to source in the Morvan forest. Before moving here we lived near Corbigny (just outside the Morvan Park) and had no problem with wood deliveries. Guess we'll just have to wait until our range of contacts grows a little!

Thanks again for the reply. Take care and enjoy the Morvan. It's beautiful, isn't it?

Sue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:36 pm 
Hi again Sue

The Morvan is really beautiful, like a postcard!

It's a bit like being in the middle of the sea, with no drinking water! All those forests! Hope you manage to get some more 'wood' contacts this year.

Julie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:29 pm 
Hello Julie and Sue,

Sorry, can't help on the wood question as our house is heated by fuel, however I just wanted to say hello as it is so rare to see any posts about the Morvan. We've been living in Avallon for just over 2 years, and often have little day trips into the park. We find it a wonderfully peaceful area, great for easy country walks at the weekend. Like most areas I think you need to stray off the main roads in order to really appreciate it, particulary the peace and quiet. We particularly like Quarré for lunch (the Restaurant du Morvan is great - if you are not in a hurry). When I talk to my work colleagues in Clermont-Ferrand many of them have no idea where the Morvan is, and even fewer have ever visited it. I'm not sure if I find it a shame that more visitors don't come in the holiday season to add a bit of excitement, or if I jealously want them all to drive past on the A6 on their way to the South and leave us in peace.

Anyway, that's it. Just wanted to say hi. Have a nice evening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:03 pm 

Hi Steve,

Glad you love the area as much as we do. Next time you pay a visit to the Morvan you might like to try one of these restaurants: Hotel du Nord at Brassy, Café du Carrefour at Vauclaix, Hotel de l'Europe at Corbigny, Hotel de la Poste at Vauclaix. All very different but great food at all of them.
We notice more visitors around in the summer but the area certainly never feels crowded. And there are also always loads of local events in the summer, if we can bear to drag ourselves away from the garden. Plus, the natives are very friendly.
We don't come to Avallon often, although it's a nice change to visit Auchan now and again (much better choice than our local, smaller supermarkets.) English visitors are always impressed by the "ramparts" and the "hanging gardens of Avallon," as we call them.
Take care and enjoy your future rambles.

Sue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:20 pm 

Hi,

Wood finally arrived this morning; poor quality, wet and only half the amount we ordered (measured after the delivery guy was well gone!) Are they trying to tell us something? Rang them, explained the delivery was well short and they have promised the rest of the delivery "toute de suite!" No apology and no explanation. Guess the search for a new wood supply continues.

Regards,

Sue.

Added later in day. 2nd lot of wood delivered early aft; well seasoned, dry and well over the half owing to us. The boss came along this time, looking extremely sheepish, especially when Pete explained in detail that he knows how to measure amount of wood delivered. Maybe our problems are over!?!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:56 pm 
Hi again Sue

Glad you got it delivered, I bet now you've stood your ground with the boss you'll have no problems in the future (keep us posted). Looks like snow is on it's way next week, at least you'll be warm!

Hi Steve

Hi and glad you enjoy the Morvan. Thanks for saying hello and hope you continue your visits here, with or without the tourists!

Julie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm 

Hi Julie,

Lovely and warm and plenty of wood. Couldn't be better. Bring on the snow!

Regards,

Sue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:22 pm 

irrelevant to the subject - but I knew a Sue Smith- used to play badminton on Thursday morning at the local youth club. You?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:30 pm 

Hi Swissie,

I did play badminton when I was younger but never at a youth club. Started playing at about 21 and played until about mid forties. Nowadays I'm far too fat and unfit to do anything sporty.

So I guess I'm not your Sue Smith. Sorry!

Regards,

Sue.