It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Badger digging competition
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm 

Planned for June in Champagne Ardennes. PLEASE if you see any advertising for it or manage to get any info from Press, neighbours, etc, pass on to me, so we can try to stop this barbarism. THANKS.

Post subject: Re: Badger digging competition
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:29 am 

Serious question, is it illegal in france?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:15 am 
No it probably isn't - cock-fighting is also legal in Northern France.

In Southern France bull fighting is illegal but they go ahead and just pay a token fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Swissie
I found this today :
Du 25 au 28 mai, les chasseurs organisent un "championnat international" de déterrage de blaireaux en forêt de Tronçais, principalement à Saint-Bonnet Tronçais (03360) dans l’Allier et sur des terrains proches dans le Cher. Pendant trois jours 300 chasseurs accompagnés de leurs chiens vont écarteler dans leur terrier ces paisibles animaux qui sont en période d’élevage des petits et qui sont protégés ailleurs qu’en France.

I believe that badgers are not protected here in France so anything goes. I find the treatment of badgers here really disgusting and inhumane - it's pure cruelty and these chasseurs actually enjoy it. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:26 pm 

Thanks Blaze - I had given up on anybody replying. Allier? They were supposed to do the big championship in Allier 2 years ago, and Brugundy last year. this year is supposed to be Champagne Ardennes - although it happens all over the place. could you do me a big favour and check whether the even is definitely planned for THIS year. Thanks.
Yes it is legal in France. It is absolutely barbaric- I won't go into detail but it involves trained dogs, pincers, plyers, spades. The MELES association has info and videos too- but really not for the faint hearted. Cubs will of course be underground and at great risk of being killed or maimed by the dogs Terriermen can't control them underground)- and then because they are still dependent on parents who will be (officially not killed) but maimed and/or too terrified to return to the sett. Many will succumb to their injuries with a slow death as wounds get infected and broken jaws prevent them from feeding. As I am moving on Tuesday and will not have the internet for a while, I will not be able to deal with the Maire and Forestry Commission, etc. I will get in touch with MELES asap to try and give my support.

How a civilised society can call this sport is beyond belief. Thank you again Blaze.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:11 pm 

www.meles.fr if you are interested.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 pm 

are you living in Haute Marne aware that a huge badger digging competition is planned for the end of June in your area. Please look up the meles link given above to find out more. This is one of the most barbaric form of 'hunting' and just done for fun in the name of tradition. Please do whatever you can to try and stop this happening in your patch. Any questions, please ask.
Thanks for doing what you can.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:22 am 
I will certainly keep an eye out for our immediate area, and will contact the Mairie, as will Blaze if I know her at all!

Thanks for letting us know Swissie!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Chant - luckily I have never heard anyone round here talk about badger digging. I have seen lots of setts in the woods - not any of the plantations - and they have all been untouched. As you say, I will be right behind you (or perhaps ahead ???) in the dash to the Mairie. Perhaps it's because the chasseurs round here are more interested in deer and sanglier that badgers don't interest them. Why this treatment of badgers ? It's not even as if they are eaten afterwards - simply a cruel desire to bully defenceless creatures.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 am 

Thanks Blaze and Chant for your support.

Some would argue that badger numbers need to be controlled in some situations, or a rogue badger 'taken out' if he raids a hen house- but torturing badgers just for fun is sick. And I am so glad you agree. Merci pour brock ou tasson .

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 pm 
Disgusting!

I found this link, but I think it refers to last year. http://www.cyberacteurs.org/actions/archive.php?id=98

... and this was the previous year:- http://forum.aufeminin.com/forum/animau ... reaux.html

If you put the following into a Google search, you'll find many references to this disgusting "sport".
"Saint-Bonnet Tronçais " blaireau

So Swissie, you are not alone.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Whilst badger baiting and badger digging aren't the same thing, I cannot watch any videos on these cruel sports. I obtained a video on badger baiting from an animal activist friend to show my colleagues in the police. I'm glad to say that many of them were shocked by it. In order to give the dog a "better chance" against the badger, the men stabbed the badger so that it was severely weakened. It was one of the most upsetting bits of film I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:37 pm 

Anybody living near St Bonnet? Have you got any local info of this terrible deed due to happen in a couple of weeks right there?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:56 pm 

Does nobody care about this amazing cruelty? What a terrible shame.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure there are lots of people here who care, me included - but if it's not happening where we are, what powers do we have to put a stop to it? There's cruelty all over the world, and lo and behold - all caused by humans. :cry: Wish I could help, Swissie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:39 pm 

Thanks Bayleaf - I was hoping somebody lived in the area mentioned. Regards Odile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:11 pm 
I have only just seen this this thread and can't belive what I am reading. It is so upsetting to think we can treat any creature in this way. I am not yet living in France so I can't help but wish you all the best.

Susan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:34 pm 

Thanks Susan - so glad you agree it is horrendous. It seems very strange to me that people of this forum get very upset about stray dogs or cats (as I indeed do) but seem to think that badgers are 'fair game' - and French traditions should be kept going, and so on. Your kind words were very welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:50 pm 
Swissie wrote:
Thanks Susan - so glad you agree it is horrendous. It seems very strange to me that people of this forum get very upset about stray dogs or cats (as I indeed do) but seem to think that badgers are 'fair game' - and French traditions should be kept going, and so on. Your kind words were very welcome.

Swissie, without reading back, I don't recall anyone saying that badgers are fair game - most, if I recall, are as outraged as you are.

Incidentally, did anyone see the BBC Countryfile programme yesterday? There was a very interesting comment about one place in Britain where they had totally culled all badgers, following which bovine TB increased, and in another area where the farmer did not allow culling and his herd was free of TB. Makes you think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:09 pm 

magic - no, you are right - but nobody came out from the area in question offering to do anything, or to comment. I therefore find the silence sad.

Extensive research over a period of 10 years+ has shown what even the independent researchers never expected - and that is excatly what you mention - culling creates a vacuum for sick animals. As very territorial healthy animals are taken out- the area becomes a haven for weaker animals- hence the increase in disease, including TB.

It is interesting to note that in Southern ireland, full blown culling, gassing, shooting has been going on for years- and yet the incidence of TB is still going up. In Northern Ireland without any culling, they have managed to cut TB by 50 % in recent years. How? With much stricter control on cattle movement, strict herd testing (a huge percentage of English herds are very late for testing) and very simple and cheap good husbandry measures (like covering feed troughs at night).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:33 pm 

A massive digging competition planned for Haute-Marne tomorrow - when youngster are not yet weaned. This is just for fun, just for men and dogs to compete. It is barbaric - and serves a absolutely no purpose. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on France for allowing this to happen.