It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Cowboy menuisiers near Carcassonne.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:25 pm 

A quick tale of woe and warning. No names given on the open forum.

A while back we had some roller shutters and a new exterior kitchen door fitted by a franchised national firm that does all sorts of windows, doors and shutters. Lots of national advertising.

We had looked around and decided on this lot. They came and measured the sliding mezzanine windows and I made a point of telling them that they are all slightly different sizes. No problem was the reply. The shutters and door were delivered and fitted the Friday before Christmas 2007 and they finished at about 7 in the evening. We discovered that they had measured the window OK, but instead of supplying 3 different size roller shutters they had just divided the length in 3! The shutters do not align with the sliding windows. we didn't get chance to contact anyone until after the festivities and were told that we should have complained at the time. 7 'o' clock on a December evening is dark, how on earth were we supposed to see anything? It also turned out that instead of the shutters and the box they roll into being the same colour the sutters are 'bronze' and the boxes are dark brown. They also hung down and didn't roll completely into the boxes!

The kitchen door seemed to be OK, but after a few months the varnish started to bubble up around the edge of the bottom panel and the white plastic sill, which should have been aluminium, started to move and squashed the silicone seal out from under it. This caused the wooden venier strip on the outside edge to split and break away.

To cut a long story short we involved the legal people on our household insurance and they called in an 'Expert' to come and look at it with the clowns who fitted it. The clown said there was nothing he was going to do about the shutters because 1. It wasn't enough to be unhappy about and 2. he wasn't going to replace them anyway. They both agreed that the door needed sorting. After 18 months we have been informed that the company is not responding and we may well have to take it to court! so far we have not heard from the clowns about the door either.

If anyone is contemplating fitting new doors, windows, shutters or the like then if you would like the name of these people then please PM me.

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Post subject: Re: Cowboy menuisiers near Carcassonne.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:20 pm 

I can hardly believe someone has, at last, posted in here - the last time was in April! :shock: I was starting to think there was only me left living here. :D

I fitted all our menuiserie myself - it was simpler than trusting someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 pm 

Part of our problem would have been that they made the units all the same size so it wouldn't have mattered who fitted them.

They also made the door.

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:47 pm 

must admit I was wondering how many members lived in the area. I am still in the process of buying up a house to restore a little further north and east of Carcassonne, and will have to look round for builders. I would prefer to use local companies, partly from my experience in UK. I had new double glazing installed(the old windows were in a very poor state and I wanted to reduce fuel bills), and had had an enlees stream of advertising material from national companies, but chose a local company, which had been going for over 40 years. I was very pleased with the service, and know that if there is a problem I can call into their office.
The other work involved upgrading the central heating, so I thought the company which supplies both my gas and electric might be a good option, as we had had very good service from them so far. Everything seemed to go OK, and new boiler etc fitted when I wanted it, not necessarily as soon as salesman wanted it. Anyway, fitters did work very quickly, possibly too quickly and there was a problem with hot water first night so had to use electric emersion. Service engineer called, and realise one of the water valves was switched off, fixed problem so we had hot water but the timer was erratic, with water heating coming on despite the timer saying it should be off. Had a couple more visits from different engineers, one replaced timer and didn't come back to finish job. Another engineer fixed that problem but I wasn't happy with timer, and found only way to control water heating was to switch off the electric control switch, and only switch on when it was required. Out gas bill for past 3 months has as a result been a lot lower than last year. I haven't decided whether to contact engineer again to try and sort problem, as I think part of problem might be the way old central heating system had been set up and balanced. At least I can communicate in English, I would not want to have a similar problem in France, which is why I will certainly try and use local where possible.
My parents have lived in France for many years and now can't get around as easy as they could so required a stairlift. I knew that a well known British manufacturer also had a base in France so got their info to my parents. Despite being a very good company, I had never heard any complaints, the fixing and delivery in France did not go as smoothly as it could have done. Those delivering the stairlift from Paris had not communicated properly with the relatively local installer. Luckily all got sorted out and they are very happy with the product. If they had had any further problems , not only would my brother who lives in France harassed their French Office but I would have contacted their British office.
I am curently struggling to get completion on a house purchass in France, having opted to use my brother's notaire. There had been some horror stories on one of the forums about notairesnot informing the British purchaser of some problems, that I wanted to make sure all i's were dotted and t's crossed. I think i am justified in my action, as it appears to be the notaire handling the sell, that has slowed things down, even my notaire is puzzled by the delay. There is no estate agent and the seller is in fact English, and another reason for using my own notaire was to enable my brother to sign some of the paperwork, my French being a little rusty.
It being holiday time now , things are even slower, but the legal system according to my brother doesnt really take holidays, so hopefully housewill be sorted out soon, and I will eventually be able to start on my dream of living in France. 8-)

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:03 pm 

Hi rue_d_etropal

I remember you from the old LF days, then the TF years a well.

It sounds like you might not be too far from us. We are on the Aude/Hérault border just inside Aude. I already pmd Jonzjob for the name of these fitters. As I told him, if you are thinking of having a forage sunk in the future I can tell you where not to go. It's good to circulate such information (in private of course).