It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: how much wood are you using
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm 
Been cold this winter,colder than the last 5yrs.

Post subject: Re: how much wood are you using
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:39 pm 
At the moment we have used less than this time last year, but I feel that our weather has not been so cold. We only have the "insert" and electric heaters. We do not use the heaters at all unless we have visitors. How much are people paying for wood? There appears to be a shortage here and people moving to the area are having difficulty finding a supplier.
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:25 pm 
We've used 13 stères so far this year; much more than last year. But then we now have two woodburners instead of one, and it's been a lot colder. We're going to order 20 for next year, just to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:33 pm 
We've used about 6 steres so far this winter. We've only one woodburner. We got 10 steres at the start off November so Iexpect we should have enough. We have convectors too but like Judy only use when visitors here. Horrendous EDF bill!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:35 pm 

This is our first "all wood" year...and I reckon we've used 12 stere. We have just ordered another 6, and suspect we will use another 3 of that. We have reserved 6 for June and 6 for Oct, and will top up in Nov/Dec.

We're currently on our own, emergency wood, cut 18-20 months ago...really pleased we had it to fall back on.

Cost per stere here = 55,30 euros + 15 euros for delivery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:06 pm 
wow, that's €175 per corde, tres chere !

we've used nearly 4 corde so far, but the fire runs our radiators, and has been on since october.

we've got about 1.5 corde left, so fingers crossed.

we'll definitely be stockpiling during the summer.

arthur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:19 pm 

Arthur, aren't you in 87? Is the cord/stere calculation different, as it is in Centre?
Just checking :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:22 pm 
Our supplier works in 'metres', we had six metres in September and our first fire was 4th November. We had another three metres delivered two weeks ago and hope it will last until the end of March, cold weather permitting. I watch the forecast closely and let the 'insert' die overnight unless it is very cold. Have become very aware of costings.
The price has gone up this year from 100 euros per metre to 125 euros. This was our first rise in three years.
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:23 pm 
Tend to use about 15-16 stere per year. Runs the radiators, underfloor heating and the hot water from October to March (and a few BBQ's in the summer). Definitely used more this year than last couple of years - it's been colder for longer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:25 pm 
we buy a corde, which where i live, equals 3 stere ( cubic metres ).

i know there are some places where a corde is 4 cube, but here in la france profonde, it's 3.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:32 pm 
We paid 47 euros a stere this year, cut in 50cm lengths. As we ordered 10 steres it was delivered free. We paid 45 euros a stere earlier in the year but cut into 30cm lengths so a bit cheaper, also delivered free. But unfortunately our forestier became ill so had to go elsewhere. Must admit the wood was better quality - oak and beech.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:42 pm 
Cold in 86 . . . . Less than two corde so far, about one and a half I think. The cherry tree that came down last week (it was already dead / dying) should be okay (parts of it) for the end of next winter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:46 pm 
Judy wrote:
Our supplier works in 'metres', we had six metres in September and our first fire was 4th November. We had another three metres delivered two weeks ago and hope it will last until the end of March, cold weather permitting. I watch the forecast closely and let the 'insert' die overnight unless it is very cold. Have become very aware of costings.
The price has gone up this year from 100 euros per metre to 125 euros. This was our first rise in three years.
Judy

Not sure what you mean by "metres".
A stère is one cubic metre including the spaces between the lengths of wood.
If you are in fact paying € 125 per cubic metre you are buying the most expensive wood in france.
As an example in my village I would expect to pay february 2009 € 40-45 per stère for oak and ash.
Curiously just this afternoon I was making arrangements to contribute to communal economies by accepting lengths of cut wood in my garden when the JCB tracteur-pelle next hits town in March.
A large amount of trees have blocked the eastern arch of the norman bridge subsequent to the recent tempest and flood conditions.
Normal custom is that these trunks would be buried on the hill some 2 kilometres away.
I anticipate the arrival in March of wood sufficient for between 3-5 years.
By the way locally a corde is 3 stères.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:59 pm 
Apologies my mistake we are paying 125 Euros for three cubic metres otherwise we would be even more broke and the woodman would be a millionaire! Delivered and stacked every time, does like his 'chat' and whiskey though and we are always last on the 'rounds'
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:02 pm 
Better to keep your whiskey for your own use.
And get a bottle of rot gut whisky for the woodcutter. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:59 am 

Just curious as to why this has been posted specifically in 'Languedoc-Roussillon'?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:28 pm 
Our region is,apart from corsica one of the more warmer parts of france and I live down here,OK.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:39 pm 

hi, l'outcast - didn't realise, as you haven't put a location under you're name, and out of all the people who've replied none seem to be from our region. So I thought it was strange.

I reckon I've used our wood burner more this winter than the last 3 winters put together. I've been here for more than twenty years and can't remember such low temperatures for such a long time. We've had much lower temperatures, but for short periods. Maybe it means we're going to have one of those bloody heat-wave summers. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:10 pm 

By the time winter is over, we will have used about 10 steres. Our insert, in the open plan living room, is the only means of heating for the whole house (including upstairs). So we must make sure we get the best possible wood, holm-oak, which is the densest, heaviest, and gives the most heat. Any other wood just won't do it, including white oak.
I think it is crucial to get the right kind of wood for your needs, and seasoned just right too - unless you have central heating, and use an open chimney to burn logs just for atmosphere. :)
Yes, this winter has been tough, but frankly I don't think we have used as much wood as we used to before we got double-glazing and good loft insulation. It makes a world of difference to heat loss. Double-glazing was probably the best spent money, ever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:31 pm 
We/I am in 66,this year we have used 7 m3 of of cherry wood and mixed in with well dried oak.That said we have not started a fire today until half three todat,and we were on the tressese in tee-shirts this afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:07 pm 

Forgot to say - we pay 58€ per stere. More than in some areas. They say it is because the hills (where all the wood is) are difficult to access...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm 

We pay 60 euros, because it's transported quite a long way. Not much wood round here. So I gather as much souche de vigne as possible, and cut down any dead or damaged trees I can get my hands on around and about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:50 pm 
We have been paying €55 a stère, delivered, but for small quantities. This year we have burned only 4 stères, but we didn't light up until late December for the first time. We have an insert in our main living room and a stove in a large entrance hall, which warms much of the upstairs area. The total floor area of the house is about 200m2 and a few rooms, when we are using them, are heated by electric radiators (very expensive).

Our wood is supplied by a local farmer and is a mix of good and no so good. This year we will order from a local barrel maker, whose prices for pure oak (not holm unfortunately), are extremely competitive, but orders have to be placed in Spring for delivery the following winter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:01 am 
We pay 100euros for 3m3 of cherry wood from a local cherry farmer,it`s good for the day time because it does not burn to hot and cause we go in and out a lot in the day we are not wasting the "good"stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:09 am 
We cut down a cherry tree a couple of years ago and I agree, the wood is great and burns really slowly. All used up now, unfortunately.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 am 

I've burnt cherry in the past. It seems to give off a very sweet smell - same when you're sawing it. Did you notice that?