It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Yet another speeding flash..............
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:18 pm 

.......on Friday. In fact not one, but 3, all in the space of 20 minutes on the N 145 between Montlucon and Gueret.

Now before you say 'serves him right' I have to tell you that I never, ever, go faster than 100 km/hr on any kind of road and as many of you will know that road is limited to 110 km/hr.

That's not all. All around the country this has happened, in fact about a dozen times since the beginning of December.

It is always the new tall slimline grey posts involved, almost always the high level lense which flashes and I have immediately verified the local limit and my speed each time.

The first few times it happened I saved the file on the dashcam and and doggedly trawled though the record on the computer back at home, just so I have the evidence to prove my innocence (it records date, time, speed and location). Always, of course, it has proved me right. After never having received an amende I have given this up, I never normally take the card from the dashcam otherwise and the process is time consuming and laborious.

The only thing I can think of to cause this is that they think I am a lorry, but driving a car and caravan which is a maximum of 1.85m high, this seems hard to believe.

Has anybody else come across this with a fourgon or larger caravan I wonder? :-?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: Yet another speeding flash..............
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 am 

Had this whilst driving my camper van, which was not speed restricted as are HGVs. Nothing came of it. Seems that the high flash works automatically for larger/higher vehicles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:26 am 

charentais wrote:
Had this whilst driving my camper van, which was not speed restricted as are HGVs. Nothing came of it. Seems that the high flash works automatically for larger/higher vehicles.

Yes, as I thought, but 1.85m in height? Even flat platform lorries have cabs higher than that. Seems like a design cockup to me.

Quel surprise 8-|

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:51 pm 

Just a thought.

If the cameras are set for HGVs they have to work for the long bonnet units as well as the flat face ones. As such they may be set at a height that will detect the front of the long bonnet and so get a picture of the number plate and not the end of the hood.

In that case they will also catch a lot of above average height vans, caravans etc.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 pm 

thelastoneout wrote:
Just a thought.

If the cameras are set for HGVs they have to work for the long bonnet units as well as the flat face ones. As such they may be set at a height that will detect the front of the long bonnet and so get a picture of the number plate and not the end of the hood.

In that case they will also catch a lot of above average height vans, caravans etc.

That may be so Andy, but there are very few long nose wagons in Europe and in any case I think that the detecting of the number plate is quite seperate from and preceding the detection of the vehicle size.

The reason I think this is because when the flash occurs it is only a fraction before my right hand door post, sometimes so late that it is not even picked up by my very wide angle dashcam lens.

Of course with the rear flashes, one of the 3 on Friday was this type, it is picking up the whole vehicle as well as the rear plate, so that explanation does not stand up.

Several months ago I reported being flashed at 80 in a 90 zone down one of the steep banks on the autoroute south of Clermont Ferrand, and assumed it was because I was in the slow vehicle lane and the camera was aimed at that. I now think that it is the same phenomenon, it simply thought I was larger.

With my latest vehicle, a 4 year old Partner, the cruise control is pin point accurate and so easy operate each time the limit changes, so I am hoping for amende free, if not flash free, motoring from now on. :)

Much harder in Spain though where the limit changes are almost too frequent, both up and down, to react to. X(

Does anybody know if France and Spain have reciprocal agreements yet? :-