It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: grippe aviaire
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm 

Our dept. (Gers) , has been affected the worst in France. All palmipedes had to be culled. I think many eleveurs will go out of business permanently, as it's predicted to return every year. It affects mainly ducks and geese.
We've kept chickens since we arrived here 15 years ago, use them for both eggs and meat. This year for the first time we've had problems sourcing pret a manger hens and cockerels, but after much searching managed to find some today from an independent producer. In Haute Garonne. No poultry markets in this region at the moment.
I'd be interested to know the situation in other regions? Someone is supplying the supermarkets, but I've noticed prices are starting to rise. Perhaps the shortage has started to show itself.

Post subject: Re: grippe aviaire
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:05 pm 

Have made many web searches and every hit has stated that the birds either ducks,Chuck's or geese with the av.flue meat can be used if sterilised to over 70c, normaly confit etc is sterilised for an hour at 100c. I have made it here every year for over 25 years with never a problem.
So my question is why is all of this good meat being thrown away.
Just read a report that in the last infection in the Dordogne not one person in the industry had any symptom of the grip.

Yes I suppose that every one is running wild just incase it mutates and gets into people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 pm 

When it does mutate (note when and not if - although this outbreak may not mutate, one day it will do so in Europe) the impact could be catastrophic. The Asian outbreak earlier this century produced 228 identified cases in humans. Of these 181 cases ended in death of the individual. The only saving grace from that outbreak was that human to human transmission seemed to be quite difficult, the next outbreak may not be so.

Against that background I cannot imagine any food processing company doing a risk analysis that would result in them taking in the dead fowl and making the meat fit for consumption. The headlines would be along the lines of greed over safety for their workers - and that before anyone got ill.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:13 pm 

Picking up on Andy's point, although not relevant to the OP, apparently this winter season the 'flu virus mutated and the vaccine given was less effective than normal. This resulted in additional deaths - although apparently the pensions industry is happy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017 ... s-pension/

J

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:44 am 

Always being one who considers that nature will win on the end. I reckon that's the way the world will go.
The flue killed more just after the first world war than the war did.
At the present time the world population is growing at an alarming rate so something will happen to stop it.
Call me pessimistic if you like, but I say realistic. History always repeats itself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 am 

I never thought of that aspect - they always said that the virus doesn't affect humans . But if it mutates, who knows?
There are strict controls in the UK too - confinement, and big fines if you don't stick to the rules.
Here's the latest situation:
http://agriculture.gouv.fr/influenza-av ... s-la-faune
I wonder what they mean by faune sauvage - wild birds, or other wild animals?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:57 am 

niemeyjt wrote:
Picking up on Andy's point, although not relevant to the OP, apparently this winter season the 'flu virus mutated and the vaccine given was less effective than normal. This resulted in additional deaths - although apparently the pensions industry is happy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017 ... s-pension/

J

Happened here as well, I have had the jab for nearly 15 years, no problem but this year had three weeks of flue so did mami and her 94 year old father who had his Jab back in the UK before coming to visit for his usual winter stay.