It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Has anybody info on Sofica's top up insurance?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:24 pm 

Because I have recieved a quote from them which is way below what I pay at the moment.

They are based in Bordeaux but the prospectus and telephone speakers use English.

I have been well satisfied with Generali for some years and would normally have ignored an offer of an annual saving of 100 euros or so, but this is nearly half what I paid last time.

Is it really too good to be true, as the saying goes?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: Has anybody info on Sofica's top up insurance?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:40 pm 

Hi David, I changed over to them about 4 years ago. Their quote was over 40€ a month less than what I was paying. I am still paying less each month than I was four years ago to the old providers. We are more than happy with them, and would recommend them with no hesitation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 am 

Thanks OB, rather belatedly, sorry. I was waiting a while to see if anyone else came in, but there have been over 40 views of this thread, so maybe others are interested too.

I have some time before committing myself so I might have a chat with a rep first.

Thanks again for the encouraging info. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:16 am 
I met them at a Financial lunch some time ago now in Dinan. They came across as pretty genuine to me and never pushed their health cover on us, just gave us what they covered and for how much. I did think we ought to change to them from our very long time and existing assurance but as is the case, it was left as a "to do" later and never has been done. I personally may still change to them but will have to check their costs now as the leaflet we have now is around 3 or 4 years old.

So I can't recommend them as a client but I do believe them to be a serious company.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:41 pm 

Sounds a bit like me then, I do tend to follow the 'better the devil you know' principle and put things off till they disappear.

I am sure that I am not the only one to be confused by the 100%, 150%, etc choices, but I always thought that the top up was to full cost but not beyond in each case.

This leaflet at first seems to be much more simple. On the first page it clearly states CPAM 70%, To up 30%, Full Cover 100%, thus your expense €0.

Then I turn to the 2nd page where it offers different levels up to 200%. :-\

I have decided that level 1 (the 2nd option) out of 4 is right for me but am a little worried that I am not comparing like for like with my existing cover and, that as a result, I may unwittingly end up at a disadvantage.

My level of French is good enough for most needs but trying to converse on this plane, with this much importance, is daunting. That is why I am tempted to give them a ring and talk to someone in English.

No guarantee that I will still understand though. :ymblushing:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 pm 

The CPAM 70% is only 70% of the CPAM tariff for the act, not 70% of the actual cost. So it is only where the practitioner charges the CPAM rate that the 30% will cover the remainder of the charge. Once you get into big conurbations or into speciality acts the charges can be a lot higher than the CPAM rate. It is those cases where the 125%, 150% 200% option helps to pay for the overall cost. However, you will never get more than the actual cost even if you go for the highest percentage top-up cover.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:08 am 

Thanks Elsie, you have reminded me of what I already knew, but had forgotten, and as such it does flag up a warning for me.

What if I am not comparing like with like? Perhaps the deal I have with Generali (will have to dig it out and check) is equal to the highest level offered by Sofinca's and that, by opting for a lower level (and unfairly comparing the cost), I will leave myself short at some point in the future.

The highest level with Sofinca's is still cheaper than what I am paying, but only by 100 euros or so, and would not be worth changing to.

More studying to do I think. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:57 pm 

We have had a top up via SOFICA for three years. Its actually with the A.F.P.S (Action Familiale de Prévoyance Sociale) based down in the South of France. I've got other quotes in the meantime and none have come under AFPS. I've had dealings with them via fax and email and they have always got back to me within 24 hours, so very happy with their service. If I'm ever stuck due to my poor french, I go via SOFICA who have answered queries for me.
Hope the helps
David