It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Carte Vitale and S1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

I receive a UK state pension and as I am on ALD, I applied for the S1, which has been working since February last year.
A couple of weeks ago however, the local radiology cabinet called me to say that my CV had been refused and I no longer had any health rights ! I went to the pharmacy to update my card in case that was the problem. It didn't work.

A visit to the CPAm revealed all.

Apparently, if you are on an S1 carte vitale, you need to inform the CPAM towards the end of every year that you are still in the country and that your situation hasn't changed. The very helpful woman at the CPAM said I couldn't have known that and she didn't know why it wasn't clearly written on the form when the card first arrived. She also said that in trying to update my card after the 31 December had grilled the puce :(

So now I'm back to the old brown forms until they sort it out.

Post subject: Re: Carte Vitale and S1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:04 pm 

Thanks for the info, Blaze, and I hope your S1 gets put back on the card soon. If I ever retire, I might apply for an S1, in the meantime the RSI keeps me on my toes :lol: .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:41 pm 

I have to print out a new attestation every 6 months, I used to go into the office, but now I can do it myself via the Ameli site.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

That may well be an easier way to do it, Chappers - I'll find out if I can do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm 

That happened to me too, but it was after 5 years.
They want to have it confirmed that you're still alive, and if so, that you still have the ALD.
btw I also had a similar thing from the UK pensions people, a form to fill in confirming I was still alive, to be signed by our Maire. He was quite amused ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:12 pm 

I think if this was a rule and universally necessary we would have heard about it long before now so I'd be more inclined to believe that it's your particular CPAM office freestyling !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

That is very possible, Ernie - I have certainly never heard of it before. Funnily enough, our local CPAM office is very helpful !

Anyway, I have to send off proof of my state pension entitlement to CPAM in Nantes plus apply for yet another Carte Vitale, complete with photo, from Rennes.
What a flippin' saga. I'll have great fun zapping them with all my brown forms once I get my new card :YMDEVIL:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:12 am 

My local CPAM office insisted, for a good length of time, that I should present them with a new S1 every year, and you know what it is like trying to convince them they are wrong.
Last time I went there was for application for CMUC, which they granted quite easily, but then I believe that the UK gov., eventually meets the cost of it all, just saves me a good amount a month to the mutuelle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:49 am 
Site Admin

I was eventually sent a new Carte Vital and I just have to present myself at the local CPAM every 6 months to make sure that I keep my droits.
It seems that CPAM offices vary, perhaps depending on where you are - our local office is actually very helpful !

The carte vitale isn't the only thing that seems to be handled in different ways - there are still iggerant gendarmes who think a GB driving licence should be changed for a French one after residing in la belle France for 6 months 8-|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 am 

They told me every 12 months for a prolongation des droits, and yes I agree about the gendarmes, although is the word iggerent olde English, I've seen it used but very rarely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 pm 

I normally get a reminder around this time of year from CPAM Limoges informing me of the need to complete a couple of forms if I am no longer entitled to an S1.

Husband works in the UK so it's a worker's S1 that runs out at the end of January every year and has to be renewed every year, normally getting the ball rolling mid November. I usually get the S1 from HMRC by Christmas and pass it on to CPAM immediately. This has happened every year for the last 7 years.
However, CPAM seem to have surpassed themselves this year as I've received 4 of these letters - one every month since September. The letter clearly states the S1 will expire on 31/01/2015 so why the need to push so early???
I have an ALD condition and need to see the doctor every couple of months, so CPAM know I'm still alive and in France!!

The first time I received one of these letters I panicked and phoned the English speaking CPAM as further down the letter it said in bold:

"Afin d'eviter tout rejet de paiement et en attendant la regularisation de votre dossier, vous ne devez plus utiliser votre Carte Vitale." (sorry, English keyboard.) My understanding of that sentence was that I can't use my CV from NOW even though the S1 hadn't expired yet!

The woman I spoke to told me to ignore it!
However, having now received 4 of these letters I really am beginning to wonder if I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:39 am 

When I was on a workers S1 HMRC wouldn't even accept an application for renewal without a payslip for the month immediately preceding it's expiry and then took anything up to 8 weeks to issue it so I was perpetually technically running out of cover, my local CPAM were pretty good about it though.

Fortunately I never really needed anything so it wasn't a problem.

These sort of inefficient shenanigans seem to be endemic throughout the French civil service though which is why the government has such a huge payroll !

Many things could be streamlined but perish the thought that one single fonc be put out of their cushy for life job !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:19 am 
I was told by a couple of workers at CPAM itself that they are not fonctionnaires. The chap who works at our local CPAM confirmed that at our fête des voisins. I thought I had posted that on here sometime ago.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:14 pm 

That's right Basil.
Quoted from another forum:
Surtout, ne parle pas de "fonctionnaire" ; les agents des CPAM ne sont pas fonctionnaires, ni même assimilés fonctionnaires !!! (il y a des fonctionnaires seulement à la CNAM - Caisse NATIONALE d'assurance maladie ; et encore, tous les agents de la CNAM ne sont pas fonctionnaires).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:15 pm 
Some people no rissen, Top Art ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:28 pm 

There are lots of these well-known "truths" knocking about ... :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:45 pm 

The French government payroll is quite a lot less than the UK.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:46 am 

DaveW wrote:

In numbers or in cost ?

Sources ?

I would never post something like that without some sort of reference !

In my previous post please feel to substitute fonc with 'employee' if it makes anybody feel better 8-}

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:19 am 
ErnieY wrote:
DaveW wrote:

In numbers or in cost ?

Sources ?

Ernie
Quote:
These sort of inefficient shenanigans seem to be endemic throughout the French civil service though which is why the government has such a huge payroll !

Many things could be streamlined but perish the thought that one single fonc be put out of their cushy for life job !

Is that right but you offered no proof, other than the man in the pub reference to inform us about CPAM being fonctionnaires:

Quote:
In my previous post please feel to substitute fonc with 'employee' if it makes anybody feel better 8-}

Some people would put their hand up and say, sorry, I thought the workers in the CPAM offices were fonctionnaires but then there are others who think offering a rather duff response will do.

Stick to talking about old bangers, Ernie =))

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:40 pm 

ErnieY wrote:
DaveW wrote:

In numbers or in cost ?

Sources ?

Both - I was trying to give you some homework. A little research before posting always helps :lol:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pse/publi ... 012q3.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Civil_Service

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:54 pm 

A typical belligerent reply Basil !

Whether CPAM staff were actually fonctionnaires or not was clearly neither the thrust nor the point of my comment.

Gratuitous sniping and provocation do you no credit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:59 pm 

DaveW wrote:
A little research before posting always helps :lol:

Indeed it does. Acdording to the French government's own site:

5,373 millions de personnes travaillent dans les trois versants de la fonction publique, hors 135 300 bénéficiaires de contrats aidés, soit 20,0% de l’emploi total (salarié et non salarié) en France (Métropole + DOM), au 31 Décembre 2012.

http://www.fonction-publique.gouv.fr/fonction-publique/fonction-publique-france-8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:15 pm 

MAD87 wrote:
DaveW wrote:
A little research before posting always helps :lol:

Indeed it does. Acdording to the French government's own site:

5,373 millions de personnes travaillent dans les trois versants de la fonction publique, hors 135 300 bénéficiaires de contrats aidés, soit 20,0% de l’emploi total (salarié et non salarié) en France (Métropole + DOM), au 31 Décembre 2012.

http://www.fonction-publique.gouv.fr/fonction-publique/fonction-publique-france-8

The problem with this is that numbers can be pulled from all over the place, and it's very difficult to get a real apples and apples comparison. I just get fed up with the France bashing over public employees, it's UKIP type behaviour - i.e. of no real use and self serving nonsense. I'm bad.

I prefer this sort of view and discussion - http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/2011/ ... osner.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:38 pm 
ErnieY wrote:
A typical belligerent reply Basil !

Whether CPAM staff were actually fonctionnaires or not was clearly neither the thrust nor the point of my comment.

Gratuitous sniping and provocation do you no credit.

Typical Ernie, whenever wrong (often) go and attack the person who proves you are wrong. It was clearly an attack by you on fonctionnaires working for CPAM and as proved to you, they are not.

The gratuitous sniping has come from you old boy, all you had to do is admit to you being out of touch but oh no, dear me, Ernie putting his hands up to getting something wrong, never going to happen but from now on, watch how quickly Ernie will tell others about "fonctionnaires" and CPAM as he has just become an expert on the subject :))