It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: What if you can't pay
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 pm 
My doctor accepts only cash - 22 euros each visit and I get 70% back after a few weeks. Luckily, I only need to see him every six months to get a repeat prescription for my bp tablets. He sent me for a blood test - no special reason, as I am very fit, but it seems to be the norm here. I had to pay the laboratory the day of my appointment (again, I was reimbursed). The only time I have not had to pay up front was when I went to the local A & E department after scalding myself, and they sent me a bill about two weeks later.
I pay 36 euros a month for a mutuelle for in-patient treatment only - I am just glad that in the last ten years it has been 'wasted' as I have never needed it. It will cost me a lot more in New Zealand.
The only thing that troubles me about the French health system is the lack of medical records. When I was leaving one area I asked my doctor for a copy and all she gave me was a list of my prescriptions.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:15 am 
carol wrote:
My doctor accepts only cash - 22 euros each visit and I get 70% back after a few weeks.

Thing is that €22 might be a weeks food money for many people. To get only 70% back after a few weeks . . . . puts you off going to the doctor . . . . unless you are set for a diet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:25 am 

Although I at first was interested in my own plight etc, but my son who lives with me has had an on going problem with the MSA and CMU, but we made a visit to the head office in Bourges the other day and not only did they get somebody from upstairs to speak english, but they even noticed that my son was only earning a small amount and said that he needed to claim CMU Comp and did the forms there and then. You can't get better help than that can you. ^:)^

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Great result cherami! :-bd