It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: strange experience - lost border collies.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:10 pm 

This morning we saw an adult bc running across the field opposite us, looking as if it was searching for someone. Tried to get it to come to see if there was identification, but it ran off.
There were a couple of cars stopped on the main road, so I thought maybe they were looking for it, so went there. A man drove up and I asked him - he said he was looking for 2 puppies - he wasn't interested in the adult.
He drove off.
An hour later another man drove up with 2 gorgeous bc puppies he had found on the road. I told him about the previous man, sent him to ask our neighbour who knows everyone. No news since then.
There was something strange about the first man - very tall and with a series of scars on his right cheek, the damage had gone through to the facial bones and that side had collapsed. He spoke nicely, said thanks etc.
It's a mystery - we are in the Gers, 32300.

Post subject: Re: strange experience - lost border collies.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

This site is probably the best to check if someone has put a "lost" notice. They also post "found" dogs.
https://www.chien-perdu.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:08 pm 

Thanks for the link, Blaze. I'll keep a check on there.
Thinking back, the first man's facial disfigurement could have been from a serious burn.
Maybe my overactive imagination, but I couldn't help thinking that the puppies had been 'dognapped'. They'd be quite valuable.
ps I wonder if you could move this to Pets, Lost and Found? I think I put it on the wrong topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

If they had been pinched, it's surprising that they would have been running around loose ! But it does happen ....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 pm 

This little family has re-appeared, with the mother this time. Husband found them on a lane near us, and brought them here. They seem to be starving, and have quite a few ticks. The pups haven't grown much.
Glad for advice what to do next - we can't really take on another 3 dogs, though they're very sweet.
No identification on any of them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds as if they may have been living rough, particularly if they have ticks.

Have you checked the usual places like vets, Mairie, local police ?
If you can catch them, you might be able to take them to the Mairie as they are in theory responsible for stray dogs. Some, but not all, Mairies have a dog facility where they can hang onto them for a few days. They would then probably be taken to the nearest SPA.

It's unusual to see Border Collies unclaimed. Perhaps they are living with someone who isn't looking after them and they have escaped ?

I would try the Mairie first of all and see what they say, particularly as it's not the first time you've seen them wandering. They sound as if they could do with a good meal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am 

When you say 'no id', Pat, does that mean that you have been with them to a vet to have them checked for a chip? If not, then, if you can, that is the first thing to do. Also, have you put them on the 'found' section of Chien Perdu? Along with photos?

Mairies do have a responsability but many do not take it seriously, or pass the buck if they can. The Gendarmes likewise.

If you can possibly look after them for a few days or weeks that is the safest thing to do for them.

Please keep us informed, photos would be nice, you never know, someone might be willing to take them on. BCs are sought after.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:00 am 

Thanks to both - the problem is solved (for the moment) because after their meal they disappeared. But I keep thinking of les pauvres, so thin and undernourished.
Our Maire isn't interested, he's hardly ever here anyway. No we didn't got to the vet, they weren't here long enough. I forgot about the puces.
As Blaze says, they seem to have become vagabonds. But they do seem to stay in this area. I don't know how they survived that very cold weather we had a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 am 

Probably do the same as they do to you. Come round begging to anyone who will give them some love.
I have seen the same in the lot only with just the one dog.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 pm 

Our rescue dog is Lotois. The mayor of the village where he'd hung around begging for 3 months was delighted when we left after our holiday with an extra passenger :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:17 pm 

Well they've come back. I was out for a walk this pm and saw them in a field. The mother saw me, and came bounding up. The little ones followed, but got tired and laid down eventually.
She followed me home, then husband , who's a real softie , (I'm a hard-hearted Hannah) went back and brought the pups. He fed them all, after which the Mum disappeared but the pups stayed. And of course husband made a nice cosy bed for them in the workshop.
We'll have to wait and see what happens, probably a trip to the vet will be necessary.
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdb--NSa_kA
That's me ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

I bet they enjoyed their meal. It does seem strange to have a Border Collie family wandering around.
If you've got them at home now (softie .... !), perhaps you could put them on the Chien Perdu website, well found dogs anyway !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:48 am 

Thanks Blaze - I've put them on the chiens trouvé website. The mother returned during the night,and now they've disappeared again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:05 pm 

Patf wrote:
Thanks Blaze - I've put them on the chiens trouvé website. The mother returned during the night,and now they've disappeared again.

Did she bring them anything to eat? Sounds like leaving them in a safe haven while hunting for the babes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:39 pm 

Well, after all this time we've found who they belong to. A long story, something funny going on.
I'll cancel the post on chiens trouvées.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 pm 

Please let us know the end of the story. I'm intrigued.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I'd love to know what has happened to the Collie family.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:34 pm 

It's not really a happy ending.
There's an old farmhouse about a km from us, where one of the elderly couple died about 3 years ago, and the wife moved back to family at Tarbes. The house was left to the family, and at least 2 different descendants have lived there on and off. I think they're based in Tarbes, and work there.
The last lot, a young family with twin girls, seem to use the place to breed puppies, I guess to sell them. They don't seem to be around during the week and sometimes come for the weekend.
Soon after the death there were 2 chasse-type dogs, who roamed the neighbourhood unchecked,then during last summer we had a different lot of Mum and puppies which these people turned up for eventually, then never saw them until the border collies.
Yesterday the family walked past our house with the Mum, no puppies, she came in and chased our hens - chaos!
The Mr. came in to get her and was rather violent - husband stopped him. I asked him if he lived here permanently and he said yes - lying I guess. No sign of them today and the Mum seems to have latched onto us.
My view is that he's just been leaving them to fend for themselves then selling the puppies. He did say the Mum had mated with the bc at the next farm (who are permanent residents). Who claim to "know nothing about it."
I don't really want to take on another dog, but it looks as if we may have to. and not let the chickens out.
I've asked the Maire etc and they don't even know the name of this family.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:39 pm 

A sad tale indeed Pat. If I have it correctly are you now in 'possession' of the female BC? But are unwilling to adopt her?

If the answer to both of those is yes, then the first thing you must do is take her to the nearest vet and checked for a chip. This is free. If, as I suspect, there isn't one then this family cannot come and take her away.

Then you either adopt her, if you have a change of heart, or publicise her for adoption. Phoenix or the Border Collie charity http://www.borderlinecollie.com/
may be able to help.
A photo on here and some info about her character would help as well.

Please don't let her be taken back to puppy farmers against her will.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:09 am 
Site Admin

It's sad the amount of indiscriminate breeding that's done here just to make money.

I think the mum BC was just following her instincts to round up - BC pups are often put with chickens to see how they react. They don't generally harm them, but you never know with an adult dog.

As David says, if the dog has no chip or tattoo, there is no proof of ownership. Collies are popular dogs and if you don't want to keep her, she'd probably find a home pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:28 am 

It's not just here Blaze, back in the late seventies I built two bungalows on a farm in Hampshire for the farmers sons.
When doing the second one the son told me that their Alsatian bitch was paying for it with two litters a year, if I had known before I started I would have refused it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:09 pm 

I made some more enquiries today and found that the Mum is known in the area for killing chickens then taking the bird away . Also the family IS there all the time.
I went to the house first, no-one seemed to be there. But maybe still in bed. A ramshackle place with junk all over.
A dog dish outside with signs of food and a bit of bread in it. Two goats.
I think we're going to have a try to return the dog - apparently she belongs to someone. I did get their name and mobile number.
It's all happening here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds as if the poor dog only gets scraps rather than proper dog food. It probably kills chickens because it's starving - particularly if it takes the bird away.

If you return the dog to its owners, it may well come back to where it was treated kindly ....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:16 pm 

8-| Je le sais, Blaze :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 pm 

To cut a long story short - I found the family at home today. Had a bit of a back and forth in my limited french. Mr. came and took the Mum back, but she returned about about an hour later. Still here (I think).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Oh dear .... but at least you know where it comes from and that it isn't a stray.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:28 pm 

There was no sign of her today (TG.)
Maybe the owner was right and she gave up when she got no more food from us.