It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re-celling tool batteries.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:11 pm 

I have just re-celled a couple of the 18v batteries for a couple of my tools. One is a Ryobi one+ li-ion battery and the other a B&D ni-cad jobbie. I had read that the best way to get hold of the li-ion batteries was to buy an Aspire laptop replacement battery, break it open and use the batteries to make up the new pack. The batteries are 18650 type/size.

I bought an Acer AS09D70 4400mAh battery off Amazon UK for £11 odd + postage and broke it open. About an hours work and the new battery pack is now working fine. Double the capacity for about 1/3rd the price of a new pack.

The only requirements are that you know how to solder and ideally have a charger for li-ion batteries..

How did I find out that the Acer battery pack had the 18650s in it you may ask?? I found it on a 'Torch forum'. Yes! There are several of them :-o They discus all the ins and outs of that fascinating subject!

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Post subject: Re: Re-celling tool batteries.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for that, Jonzjob - I'll have to see if OH can do something with the old drill set !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:06 pm 

Jonzjob wrote:
I have just re-celled a couple of the 18v batteries for a couple of my tools. One is a Ryobi one+ li-ion battery and the other a B&D ni-cad jobbie. I had read that the best way to get hold of the li-ion batteries was to buy an Aspire laptop replacement battery, break it open and use the batteries to make up the new pack. The batteries are 18650 type/size.

I bought an Acer AS09D70 4400mAh battery off Amazon UK for £11 odd + postage and broke it open. About an hours work and the new battery pack is now working fine. Double the capacity for about 1/3rd the price of a new pack.

The only requirements are that you know how to solder and ideally have a charger for li-ion batteries..

How did I find out that the Acer battery pack had the 18650s in it you may ask?? I found it on a 'Torch forum'. Yes! There are several of them :-o They discus all the ins and outs of that fascinating subject!

Did similar for my 2 36v hilti drills

Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:15 pm 

Jonzjob wrote:
ideally have a charger for li-ion batteries..
I'd say essential.

To be safe from fire or explosion you need not only a Li-ion charger but also the sensing electronics in the battery, the two go hand in hand.