It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Electrical Installation help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:46 pm 

Hi.........Yes I am still alive, been and still working hard in Yorkshire.

Anyway we have sold our business here and now getting close to moving to our place in Cayriech trying for end of may ish.

Question is although we are planning on using off grid we need 3 phase to drive a tower crane, yes we have 3 phase to our place.
Also some of my machines are 3 phase although I have a 240v 40 amp phase converter.
but initially I need 3 phase power.

The main question I am planning on doing my own electrics, have been doing commercial and domestic here for nearly 40 years But I was told by someone who is planning on getting his electrics in, in France and said unless the installation has been done by French artisan then EDF won't connect up the power.

have I misunderstood the regs?

Thanks for any replies
Steve

Post subject: Re: Electrical Installation help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
EDF, wont give you power, unless they have the correct paperwork, which for a one off job not done by an artisan, will need inspection by the approved authority

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:16 pm 

peake wrote:
EDF, wont give you power, unless they have the correct paperwork, which for a one off job not done by an artisan, will need inspection by the approved authority

Cheers for the reply Peake I knew I could rely on you :)

So provided I do all the works correctly then get an inspection....correct ?

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:22 pm 

I've got a temporary French board and cabinet ready to connect temp supply, live 3 phase is at our gate is diss cab

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cap'n - great to see you're alive and kicking ! I was wondering how things were going ... so fingers crossed for May (a nice time to move).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 pm 

Blaze wrote:
Hi Cap'n - great to see you're alive and kicking ! I was wondering how things were going ... so fingers crossed for May (a nice time to move).

Hi Blaze

It's been a mad few years had a lot to sort out but almost there.

Got me state pension last month makes me feel old though :)

Almost 2 years to date had me spine opp......had all sorts done since then cameras here ther and everywhere bits removed for inspection .........hernia opp after all that I am now fit as a butchers dog.

How you doing ?

regards
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Steve,

This link should be of help to you, http://www.consuel.com/les-ac-evoluent/

Once you have the correct Boite de Chantier EDF should give you a temporary supply, don't forget that the earth connection is down to you

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:11 pm 

peake wrote:
Steve,

Once you have the correct Boite de Chantier EDF should give you a temporary supply, don't forget that the earth connection is down to you

Cheers Peake

Will let Sue have a read she's on her 7th year of French classes

I have a 1mtr earth rod and cable that I take to France

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 am 
Site Admin

It's certainly been a long haul for you both, Cap'n but I really am glad things seem to be coming into place for your move. Sellling the business must have been a relief - security must have been one hell of a worry.

I somehow suspect you and Sue won't just take it easy once you get here ;)

We moved from near Saumur, Maine et Loire exactly a year ago, to the Saint Malo area and it's heaven. We overlook the bay of Mont Saint Michel and the sea is just 500m away .....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:25 am 
Site Admin

captain wrote:
peake wrote:
Steve,

Cheers Peake

Not long enough, Steve, have a look at this link, http://www.schema-electrique.net/prise-de-terre-installation-electrique-norme-NF-C-15-100.html 16 mm earth cable if covered or 25 mm if bare copper, with a resistance of less than 100 Ohms, or 10 Ohms if the system has a parafoudre (surge arrester) fitted, and I think that you are in an area where its mandatory for a parafoudre to be fitted

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:21 pm 

peake wrote:
captain wrote:
peake wrote:
Steve,

Cheers Peake

Not long enough, Steve, have a look at this link, http://www.schema-electrique.net/prise-de-terre-installation-electrique-norme-NF-C-15-100.html 16 mm earth cable if covered or 25 mm if bare copper, with a resistance of less than 100 Ohms, or 10 Ohms if the system has a parafoudre (surge arrester) fitted, and I think that you are in an area where its mandatory for a parafoudre to be fitted

Thanks very much for the link
looks like a belt and braces jobbie

regards Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 am 
Site Admin

captain wrote:
peake wrote:
captain wrote:
peake wrote:
Steve,

Cheers Peake

regards Steve

Steve,

My advice to you (and all those UK DIYers in France) is forget all about what the UK does in the way of electrics and plumbing (its old and past its sell by date, by about 50 odd years, the French have overtaken the UK standards, and left them in the dust, IMHO)

Have a look at the way the French "Sparkies" do the installation on a few sites, also have a look around the big sheds like Castorama and Leroy-Merlin, they normally have a few mock ups on display, also look at the books they have on show, pick the one/s you can best get on with, and brush up on both your French and the Norms at the same time

Do a bit of touchy feely on the "gains", buy pre-cabled gain where you can use it without having to draw in other wires, the stainless steel draw wire in empty gains is a bastard, it cuts your hands when you have to draw in the cables

No flat twin and earth is used in France

Blue MDPE water pipe is another nogo (who in their right mind specified that in the UK, as the new standard, when they know that it degrades in sunlight), thats why its all black in France, with either blue or yellow stripes down the pipe, to designate what the pipe is meant to carry

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:07 pm 

I remember years ago an older version of the book L'installation électrique Comme un pro http://www.editions-eyrolles.com/Livre/9782212118964/l-installation-electrique was recommended as the best guide to DIY French electrical installation. This fifth version should have the current regulations required by the Consuel.

Might be worth having a look at it in a French bookshop or bricolage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 pm 

peake wrote:
captain wrote:
peake wrote:
captain wrote:
peake wrote:
Steve,

Cheers Peake

regards Steve

Steve,

My advice to you (and all those UK DIYers in France) is forget all about what the UK does in the way of electrics and plumbing (its old and past its sell by date, by about 50 odd years, the French have overtaken the UK standards, and left them in the dust, IMHO)

Have a look at the way the French "Sparkies" do the installation on a few sites, also have a look around the big sheds like Castorama and Leroy-Merlin, they normally have a few mock ups on display, also look at the books they have on show, pick the one/s you can best get on with, and brush up on both your French and the Norms at the same time

Do a bit of touchy feely on the "gains", buy pre-cabled gain where you can use it without having to draw in other wires, the stainless steel draw wire in empty gains is a bastard, it cuts your hands when you have to draw in the cables

No flat twin and earth is used in France

Blue MDPE water pipe is another nogo (who in their right mind specified that in the UK, as the new standard, when they know that it degrades in sunlight), thats why its all black in France, with either blue or yellow stripes down the pipe, to designate what the pipe is meant to carry

Hi Peake

Thanks for advice just checked my norms book also construction book and earth is detailed there as you say as it happens I am laying some 125 mm x 6mtr lengths northern power grid ducting tomorrow and some 63 mm x 50 mtr coil water supply pipe its a nice blue colour :lol:

Been wiring up in flex conduit under concrete floors BTW radials
Have used singles in the past on commercial jobs
got a nylon mouse about 20 years old really good with a bit of silicone spray for pulling cable through

Just bought a 23 metre high crane with 14 mtr jib its my 65th pension toy :lol: :lol:

All the best
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:00 pm 

elsie wrote:
I remember years ago an older version of the book L'installation électrique Comme un pro http://www.editions-eyrolles.com/Livre/9782212118964/l-installation-electrique was recommended as the best guide to DIY French electrical installation. This fifth version should have the current regulations required by the Consuel.

Might be worth having a look at it in a French bookshop or bricolage.

Yep My book is about 8 years old should think there are some amendments in the latest one. We are on 17th edition here in the UK

Regards
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:28 pm 

Blaze wrote:
It's certainly been a long haul for you both, Cap'n but I really am glad things seem to be coming into place for your move. Sellling the business must have been a relief - security must have been one hell of a worry.

I somehow suspect you and Sue won't just take it easy once you get here ;)

We moved from near Saumur, Maine et Loire exactly a year ago, to the Saint Malo area and it's heaven. We overlook the bay of Mont Saint Michel and the sea is just 500m away .....

Yes its been sometime since we bought our place but the wait was important to get finances really strong we have also been busy getting the boys sorted we now have two granddaughters from each son and two step grandchildren we couldn't have left the UK until all was right with family.

Saint Malo is lovely we went there in 1974 I love the sea we are only a few hours from the Med and an hour or so from the canal De midi easier to get to than Scarborough or Whitby spent 7 hours driving one Sunday on way to Scarborough and had to abort, the UK is getting gridlocked.

All the best
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

And all the best to you, Steve. Keep us in touch with your adventures - and especially The Great Move !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:28 pm 

Blaze wrote:
And all the best to you, Steve. Keep us in touch with your adventures - and especially The Great Move !

and you

I will be finishing book 2 when we move over

Regards
Steve