It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Buying kindle books when living permanently in France.
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:24 pm 

Hi,
I recently borrowed a kindle and was surprised to find that I quite enjoyed the experience. Don't think it will ever replace books for me but I can see how useful it might be to use a kindle, on holiday for instance. No need to pack a huge bag full of books!
However, after looking at Amazon U.K. I can't see any way to buy e-books as they are only available for U.K. residents. Amazon.com and Amazon.fr don't have the selection that I would like. Is there any way around this problem?
All help, advice and ideas gratefully received.
Sue.

Post subject: Re: Buying kindle books when living permanently in France.
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:32 pm 

Hi Sue,

It's a long time since I got my Kindle, but I think all you have to do is register on the UK site.

I can't remember how to do it, but if you can't find it or and nobdy else comes along who knows exactly how to do it, I'll have a look for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:46 am 
Site Admin

Go to My Account in Amazon (it can be any Amazon - log into Amazon UK if that's easiest) and select Manage Your Content And Devices.

When the page opens it has three tabs. The right hand one is Settings. Click on this.

Second option here is Country Settings. Click on change and select an address in the UK. If you don't have one already registered in the Amazon system write one in, real or imaginary (10 Downing Street?) then click on Update. It doesn't matter what the address is, it's just a hoop to jump through.

Once you update your Kindle address the Kindle store you use will change. I've used this method to buy books from the UK, USA, Canada and France. My French address is genuine, the UK address is my Dad's, the US address is a friend and the Canadian address is an imaginary P.O. Box in Toronto coupled with an appropriate postcode I found online. I've never been to Canada...

N.B. Changing your Kindle address has no effect on your default Amazon delivery or billing address. The two are separate. If you need to change countries for a single purchase, make sure you download the book in question before changing the address back to your usual one. Once downloaded it'll stay on your device regardless of country selection.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:01 pm 

Hi whitelight and Andrew.
Thanks very much for the help - much appreciated. I shall now try to follow your instructions, Andrew, and see if I can organise myself a kindle and some e-books.
Thanks again from a seriously, technically challenged and very grateful,
Sue.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:14 pm 

Told you someone would be along.

Nice one, Andrew! :-bd

(I hope it works!)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:30 pm 

As an aside, the kindle paperwhite is €99 on the French site as opposed to £109 on the UK site - good deal! However, the new Kindle voyage isn't available on the French site, but is on the UK site.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:23 am 

I finally replaced my ancient and well used original 3g Kindle with a paperlight from Amazon.fr.

I love it BUT...

if I'm reading at night it's too easy to fall asleep as you don't need a bedside light on.

I wake up in the morning to discover I've accidently turned loads of pages over in my sleep. I'm finding the touch screen is way too sensitive.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:59 am 
Site Admin

I've switched it twice in recent months to other countries without difficulties. Rather bizarrely one was for an American book (in English) which was available on the French Kindle site but not the UK one! I could also have bought it on the US site.

Amazon seem to be making it slightly harder to find Kindle books in countries where you're not currently Kindle-registered. If I go onto the French site and follow the link to the Kindle book I bought there it tells me I can't get it in my own country. If I search for the same book on the US site whilst logged in it won't show me the Kindle edition. This would change if either (a) I logged out of the country site, or (b) I changed the Kindle country. Might be worth knowing if there's something specific you're trying to find that's not available digitally in all countries - very frustrating for some authors, apparently, when their publisher can't be arsed to make their books easily available around the world...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:41 pm 

I have a Sony Reader but buy kindle books (bigger selection, cheaper) from Amazon.fr. I either pay with a current gift voucher or a UK card, given the favourable exchange rate. My Amazon.uk account is fine for certain purchases, but I have the feeling they're reducing the choice gradually...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:09 pm 

HELP!

Hi Andrew,

Followed your instructions, using the correct address of a UK friend. The system won't accept the change. Message says: The state and zip code you provided do not match. However, it is an actual address! Any ideas - or am I to remain a kindle free zone?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sue.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:18 pm 

suesmith wrote:
HELP!

Hi Andrew,

Followed your instructions, using the correct address of a UK friend. The system won't accept the change. Message says: The state and zip code you provided do not match. However, it is an actual address! Any ideas - or am I to remain a kindle free zone?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sue.

Are you on the Amazon.co.uk site?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 pm 
not .com but .co.uk :). As long as you have a Amazon uk account it should be fine. I had to reregister a new Fire on mine when they sent me a replacement and there was no problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:57 pm 

Sorry, me again!
Made a mistake with the post code - put in a zero for the letter O. Corrected this and country now changed to U.K. So far, so good. Can buy ebooks from Amazon UK.
Screen now tells me that I can't buy DVDs from Amazon UK and I've found that I can't have a kindle delivered to France. I can buy a kindle from Amazon Fr - but will I be able to change the language to English?
Should I get a friend to buy the kindle in the UK and have it delivered to me? Do I have to change back to France each time I buy a DVD?
Beginning to panic! I'm a technology imbecile and all this stuff really freaks me out.
Can I still order "real" books from Amazon UK?
Sorry for all these crazy queastions. Perhaps it's best for me not to go down this route? Maybe I'm too old for all this? Or am I just being my usual neurotic self?
Would appreciate some reassurance from someone much more technically minded than me. Off to bed, stressed.
Many thanks.
Sue.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:41 am 

We have a French Kindle and a UK kindle with each account on separate e-mail addresses. I use our daughter's address in the UK on the UK one and our French address on the French one. We have no problems using either account and can order goods as well as books from Amazon which can go to either address. We use the French site mainly for goods but have occasionally found books that are not available on the UK site or which are more expensive there! The UK one is a Fire and the French one is a steam powered early jobbie but this all works well for us. We have two mainly because my wife has one (The Fire of course) while I use the other as I only read, not playing games etc. as is her indoors wont, so this set up suits us fine.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:52 am 

You can choose the language you want on the Kindle, here's a youtube video for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaHtr243Prs

You shouldn't have a problem buying it in France and using it on other Amazon site - I didn't.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:57 am 

Sounds great, wilbro. Our UK friends ( the address I'm trying to use ) will be here this afternoon so hopefully they will be able to help sort all this out.
Sue.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:48 pm 

You need to follow Andrews instructions exactly. You are only changing the country setting for your Kindle as described above. DO NOT change your address details in your general Amazon account, that's for your general Amazon orders and has nothing to do with the Kindle country settings.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:49 pm 

I have just changed our second Kindle purchased here in France to an English address so we can share books downloaded on the first now ancient one, no problem at all.
As with the first I put in pa-in-laws UK address but our phone number so he doesn't get any calls (he's 92 years young) and uses the old one to read as with suffering from palsy he has a job holding a book.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:15 pm 

If you already have a Kindle device you will see it in your settings on whichever Amazon site you login into, but you can only buy books on the site you are registered against, as per Andrew's mail you can move this around. If you buy another Kindle it will appear in your list of devices, regardless of the country of purchase, so for example my second kindle, bought in France, appears in my list of devices as Dave's 2eme Kindle, that all happens in the background, it's called PFM. All my Kindle devices (including those with the Kindle app on them) will use whispersync to get my books from the site my settings point to. At least, that seems to be the way it works.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:03 pm 

My only problem was the first one was in the wife’s name with Amazon UK and mine in Amazon fr, so I first opened a UK one then they could synchronise.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:22 pm 

The plan is for my friends to buy me a kindle in the UK and have it delivered to me in France. Then, thanks to Andrew's advice, I should be able to buy ebooks from Amazon UK. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks very much for all the posts, help and suggestions.
Sue.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:36 pm 

suesmith wrote:
The plan is for my friends to buy me a kindle in the UK and have it delivered to me in France. Then, thanks to Andrew's advice, I should be able to buy ebooks from Amazon UK. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks very much for all the posts, help and suggestions.
Sue.

Are you sure Amazon UK will deliver to France - I doubt it.

Just checked, they will for £113.90.

That's a fair bit more than €99 - your choice.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:52 am 
Site Admin

We bought our first Kindles from Amazon USA - you couldn't get them in Europe at the time! Never had any difficulties adjusting settings, languages, locations etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:28 pm 

I have an old Kindle going cheap. I have already read it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 pm 

Eventually bought a kindle from Amazon fr. It arrived today and I am already feeling very frustrated and seriously thinking of chucking it in the bin!
It's been registered for me by Amazon fr. and, thanks to Andrew, I'm pretty sure I can buy ebooks from Amazon UK.
However, it's asking for the security WiFi password so I can connect and set it up. I'm fairly sure that this is the number/letters printed on the bottom of the live box (clé de securité.) It keeps telling me that this password is incorrect.
Please can someone give further help/advice/ideas?
Yours, fairly manic,
Sue.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:09 pm 

Do you actually need wifi on the kindle? It's something which makes the device run out of juice superquick! Wifi on my Sony is permanently off for that reason. I use Kindle for PC to download books to my PC (then convert them for the Sony).

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:12 pm 

Meant to say that when you buy books, you can send them to your registered Kindle device from your Amazon kindle account. As far as I know, all that requires is entering the number of your device at Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:50 pm 

Sue

Cle de securite (apologies for lack of accents) is indeed the number on the bottom or side of your live box - 22 odd characters long and very easy to get wrong.

Things to note:

The cle is case sensitive and does require capital letters to be entered.
The spaces are there to help you read the number, they are not part of the cle and if you add spaces as shown on the box, then it won't work.
The difference between O and 0 is less than clear (here as well as in the cle) and I have always defaulted to 0 (zero) rather than capital letter o. So far I have been 100% right and it may be that capital o is a non-allowed character in the livebox alphabet - which is typical where characters and numbers can become confused - but Orange do not tell you that.

Good luck

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:47 pm 

Always a good idea to change your wifi password on the livebox to something easy to type in. You will get there, frustrating though it is.

The paperlight doesn't seem to make it easy to switch off wifi, so I never bother, still lasts for weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:05 pm 
Wi-fi is an integral part of my Kindle Fire. You can buy in seconds and download super quick. Instant email. Loads of freebee apps. Its one of the best run things I have ever owned and I wouldnt be without it. Otherwise its like buying a car and pushing it down the road dont you think? Slow and pointless.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:25 pm 

blondie wrote:
Wi-fi is an integral part of my Kindle Fire. You can buy in seconds and download super quick. Instant email. Loads of freebee apps. Its one of the best run things I have ever owned and I wouldnt be without it. Otherwise its like buying a car and pushing it down the road dont you think? Slow and pointless.

I agree, for a Kindle Fire or the likes. I couldn't care less if my Kindle reader is online because I don't use it is as a web browser, just a book reader.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:38 pm 

Great! thelastoneout did it for me! I entered the numbers/letters without the spaces and it was accepted! Thanks so much! I now have bought my first e-book and have worked out how to read it. My present problem is to find out how much charge is left on the kindle. The battery icon/picture is constantly white/blank/empty, despite having charged it for hours. How do I sort this?
Sorry for being such a numbskull but it really is all a mystery to me.
Many thanks to everyone who has helped me so far. I really do appreciate it!
Thanks everyone,
Sue.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:35 am 

My original Kindle shows an orange light when it is receiving a charge and changes to green when charged. Not sure if this applies to later models though.

I buy from Amazon uk on the computer and books are immediately downloaded to my Kindle which I have switched on alongside.

I had slight problems in the early days with being automatically switched to the American site but, after taking advice from others, never download more than 2 books at a time. This seems to work as I haven't had a problem at all since those early days.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:50 pm 

Hi Spardo,
Yes, I've discovered the orange/green light thing for when kindle is charging.
I was worried because the battery icon was white after charging, not black. After much searching on the internet, I have discovered that the icon fills in black as the charge is used up - the opposite to all other battery charged items I've ever had.
I've downloaded three books without problem and am enjoying my little machine.
Anyone know how to change cover view of books to list view on the home page? Also, can you put into alphabetical order or arrange by author?
Thanks very much to you all. You've been of great help and support.
Sue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:48 pm 

Have now changed to list view on the home page and also in alphabetical author order - having started to read and understand the kindle manual!
Sue.