It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Faulty Kindle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 pm 

I wondered whether anyone else has had the sort of trouble with their Kindle that I have experienced?

I have had my kindle 3g for over a year. generally, I am very happy with it, and it has made travelling much easier, especially as I am away from home a lot.

One of the reasons that I got the 3g version was that in rural france with no wifi the 3g allows us to download books, papers and magazines without driving into town to find wifi, and also to avoid paying hotels to use their wifi. However, I am on my third kindle, the first having never received a 3g signal, and the second having had battery problems. My current kindle has now also suffered a 3g failure, which means that I am not able to use it in rural france as I wished.

I understand that I can obtain a further kindle, to replace it, but that I will have to pay £50, as it is more than 12 months since my first kindle was bought, and more than 3 months since I received the last replacement.

I don't know whether this failure rate is fairly typical, or whether I have been particularly unlucky, but I do feel aggrieved that I am being asked to pay another £50 for something that has clearly come with some rather basic faults. Particularly galling is the fact that the new Kindle would only have 3 months warranty, and not the 12 months of the full price one.

I am asking Kindle to reconsider, but wondered whether I am alone in having trouble with my kindle, and particularly the failure of the 3g capability?

Incidentally, I have checked the US Amazon site, and for the dollar equivalent of £87 I could have a new 3g model (£149 in the UK), and the basic model would be £49.50 (£89 in the UK)!

Post subject: Re: Faulty Kindle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 pm 

Have you tried a hard reset

http://www.ehow.com/how_7655306_reset-kindle-3g.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 pm 

Yes, I have, thanks, and following the instructions from their customer help over the phone it has been confirmed that the 3g has ceased working.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure how you'd find out about failure rates but our two Kindles have remained fine. You might want to double check your rights regarding the guarantee - it may be that under European law you're protected for two years, in which case you have a very strong argument for a free replacement, whatever Amazon try to tell you. I'm not 100% sure on this but it does ring a distant bell.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:20 pm 

Thanks Andrew, I think that you are right. I always hated Sale of Goods law, but I have written back to Amazon saying:

"I am aware that the kindle comes with a one year limited warranty, but this does not override my statutory rights. The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out. The Act says goods must last a reasonable time. I do not consider 15 months to be a reasonable time for a Kindle to continue to work, especially when the current Kindle I have is the third which has been supplied, and is less than a year old. I therefore feel that in UK law you have an obligation to replace my faulty Kindle, regardless of the warranty.

Further, it is clear from EU law that a two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU (Directive 1999/44/EC). The only limit to this is that EU law requires that I report the problem within two months of discovering it. I suspected that I had a problem with the Kindle and telephoned your helpline. They confirmed the fault yesterday. I have therefore complied with the requirements of the Directive.

Once again, I would be grateful if you would replace my faulty Kindle with one of merchantable quality."

We'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:41 am 

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have not heard of or encountered any particular issues with 3g so I don't think they are typical or common but just bad luck.

I believe you will find that because it provides greater protection than the EU directive the SOGA takes precedence over it.

e.g. http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/feb/05/how-long-electrical-goods-guaranteed

Guarantees are rarely if ever reset by a claim.

Bonne chance with your next one !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:14 pm 

Any news Elstow???

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:24 pm 

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. The news is that Amazon flat refused to do anything other than offer me another Kindle 3G at the reduced price of £50, together with only a 3 month guarantee. I thought "shall I sue, and take days off work to sit in the local county court?" and thought "no." So, I bit the bullet and bought the replacement. Touch wood, the 3G is still working, but it sticks in the craw that I have caved in.

Come retirement, I think that in similar circumstances I shall dig my heels in and become an awkward old git.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:12 am 

DaveW wrote:

Hi!

Helpful in many cases.

NB.If you do not manage to restart, and you need to go further to " Related sites " - it is a paying advice, whereby you do not really know, after giving your card details, if you can express your satisfaction, if it does not solve your problem.

yours,

pom