All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Kindle Touch
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 pm 

Now available on both the Amazon UK and France sites for pre-order

This is worth buying IMHO

Post subject: Re: Kindle Touch
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:34 pm 

The very similar Kobo Touch is £79.99 http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/kobotouchereader.aspx whereas the KIndle Touch is £109.

What does the extra £29 buy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:50 pm 

Technically, there is probably little to choose. Amazon probably wins on content and ease of getting to it.

IMHO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 pm 

£169 for the 3G version.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:34 pm 

I like the look of that. Perhaps I'll drop some hints for fathers day. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:36 pm 

I just had a look at Kobo and downloaded the apps. It's quite impressive and there seems to be no issue with their English language books, plus a good selection. It's a commodity as far as I am concerned, I will buy the books from the cheapest source. The reading platform comes second.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:08 pm 

Both the Touch and Touch 3G are now on Amazon.fr at 129 and 189 euros.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:09 pm 

Pre-order. They won't be shipped till the end of April.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:44 am 

DaveW wrote:
Pre-order. They won't be shipped till the end of April.

sorry couldn't have read their email newsletter correctly. problem is they send so many i just skip through them.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:54 pm 

Just got my Kindle touch via the UK. It's smaller than the keyboard version but about the same weight. I've been spoilt with touch screen technology - I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thinking about a Kindle Touch for my wife..
Where to buy from - Amazon UK or France? And what extras would you suggest? Charger, cover, what else?
Thanks in advance.

http://piperade-thecompleatanglo.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 pm 

It comes with a USB cable that you can use to charge it via your PC.

I think the book selection is better from the UK.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

I expect she'll be reading French books on it.. That's a good point Dave about better choice from the UK - I hadn't realised that buying from Amazon in one country would oblige me to buy all my ebooks from there. :-?
It seems about the same price irrespective of whether I buy it from the UK or France.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:48 am 
Family bought me one for my Birthday . Love it. My Amazon a/c is in uk and it automatically popped all my books on when I signed in. Its wi-fi so no connection needed. I have a plug that takes usb leads. So I charge up on the socket. Its a lot faster. It lasts for ages though. Sonny brought me over a huge file of books on his stick and popped them on the pooter for me. Many good writers. I think there is enough there to keep me going for ever. They bought me a leather cover too which protects it and is well worth the extra I would say. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:13 pm 

Is there still a problem with buying in the UK with a French/foreign ISP?

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Piperade wrote:
I hadn't realised that buying from Amazon in one country would oblige me to buy all my ebooks from there.

It doesn't. You can change your country settings on Amazon's website. Our Kindles came from the US (the only way to get them at the time in France) and arrived pre-registered with the US site. Unfortunately most of the books I wanted to read were only available from the UK Amazon site at the time - but it turned out to be easily fixed and the Kindle account reassigned to Amazon UK. I'm sure I could change it to the French site - but again I'd expect to lose out on the range available to me.

To change a Kindle's country settings, go to your account on an Amazon website and click on Manage your Kindle, under Settings. Then click on Country settings and fill in the details accordingly. Because they're not posting anything to you it doesn't matter if the address you give isn't where you live. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:21 pm 

I just got my Touch a couple of weeks back and am really pleased with it. I tried to buy it co.uk but I couldn't. Working on the exchange rate at the mo it was cheaper to buy from .fr anyway, no postage charge.

There are a load of English books on .fr, but mine come from the U.S. I'll have a look at changing the account?

From what I can see one difference between the Kobo and Touch is about 2ooo books. The Touch can hold up to 3000 :shock: :shock: :o That should stop me getting bored?

With my right hand/wrist recovering from a partial fusion and the removal of the scaphoid just over 5 weeks back and not being able to do anything with it for another 2 months, can't get to do owt in my workshop :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( I can see it getting used quite a lot!

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:39 am 

AndrewRose wrote:
Piperade wrote:
I hadn't realised that buying from Amazon in one country would oblige me to buy all my ebooks from there.

It doesn't. You can change your country settings on Amazon's website. Our Kindles came from the US (the only way to get them at the time in France) and arrived pre-registered with the US site. Unfortunately most of the books I wanted to read were only available from the UK Amazon site at the time - but it turned out to be easily fixed and the Kindle account reassigned to Amazon UK. I'm sure I could change it to the French site - but again I'd expect to lose out on the range available to me.

To change a Kindle's country settings, go to your account on an Amazon website and click on Manage your Kindle, under Settings. Then click on Country settings and fill in the details accordingly. Because they're not posting anything to you it doesn't matter if the address you give isn't where you live. ;)

Andrew or someone else please.

Have just got our Kindle from Amazon.fr and to re-register it for UK as above do I go to Parametres de payes and change to UK, say put in a relatives address and then go to Parametres de paiement to change to UK Debit Card as we used our French account to set it up? Maybe it is obvious but we tend to be very wary before doing anything like this! Could it affect anything, guarantees etc?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Good question.. :-bd I'm teetering on the edge of buying one too.. but still trying to make up my mind which Amazon to buy from.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

You only need to put an address in - there's no need to change cards or payment details at all - and it's only for the purposes of Kindle purchases. Ours started off registered in the US and I changed the account country to the UK after a day or two. It's a simple, one step process.

It's had no side-effects on our Amazon account, which gets a lot of heavy business use (several purchases a week, usually), and we've had no problems with guarantees being honoured and so forth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Piperade wrote:
Good question.. :-bd I'm teetering on the edge of buying one too.. but still trying to make up my mind which Amazon to buy from.

Unless there's a major price advantage go with the French one, if only because it'll make it easier to return if you run into problems. When you get it it'll be registered to Amazon.fr. Once you've fired up the Kindle for the first time and made sure it's OK and fully charged, log into your Amazon account (at Amazon.co.uk if you like) and change country to UK under Manage your Kindle. That's literally all there is to it. The address you use in the UK is entirely irrelevant and can probably be made up. Once changed you'll be able to use the UK Amazon store for Kindle downloads online and you'll connect to it when you're using your Kindle automatically.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 pm 
Just bought the Kindle Touch for MOH. A few days ago it was cheaper from Amazon.fr, but with the exchange rate changing daily...

After a few days use, MOH finds that she prefers the "old fashioned" Kindle to the Touch version. Guess it's what you get used to, because I, too, prefer the older version and don't think that the extra cost is worth it. Personal choice!