It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Selling with planning permission
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:52 am 

Hi,
We have a property in Lower Normandy and wish to sell it and buy sopmewhere else in France. We have 1.5 hectares. I was told a long time ago that an older house has been on another part of the land and had been demolished. My questions are these:
1) If another house had been on the land would I then have permission to build a newer house there (as I believe the case is in the UK)?
2) If there was planning permission on another part of the land wwould I be able to sell the property in two parts - one with the present house on and the other with planning permission on?
3) If there was no previous house or no planning permission if there was, would it still be a good idea to split the land and sell?

I realise that French laws are often complex so would appreciate in any case some pointers as to where I should enquire to find out whether the land has planning permission, splitting the land etc - would the Marie be the first port of call?
many thanks in advance
Brendan

Post subject: Re: Selling with planning permission
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:51 pm 

Hi Brendan, whilst I have not got the definitive answer to your question, I would say that your last idea is probably the best one, that is trot along to the Marie, having trolled through various forums throughout my years here, it is frightening to see some of the advice given by barrack room lawyers to people seeking informed advice. I know when I purchased this property, I was told by the estate agent that because there was a barn standing in the grounds it provided me with an opportunity to rebuild on the "footprint". absolute tosh that turned out to be, and the annoying part was that we purchased this so as we could convert said barn for accommodation for our son and family, which then didn't transpire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi brendanxx, welcome to the forum.

From my experience when OH and I sold a plot of land with buildings (considered as equivalent to brown belt by UK standards) we still applied for and had valid CUs to help with the marketing. The land was split, but depending on how the parcels are shown on the carte cadastrale, you may have to pay for a geometre to validate the boundaries.

Just a heads up though, if you split the land, make sure there are no rights or way or access to water meters etc. for one parcel, on the other parcel - we nearly paid dearly for this oversight!

Take your time filling out the forms, state everything clearly and leave no stone unturned!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:09 pm 

Before anything, I would do some research as to what will sell in the region - who is target market? what are they looking for?

J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:23 pm 

Welcome brendanxx.

On point 1, the presence of a previous property on a piece of land confers nothing whatsoever. Land can be re-designated in terms of its purpose and if this happens the new designation is all that applies. There were some cases a few years ago where purchasers bought the classic derelict farmhouse with attached barn, with a view to renovating the whole into a grand house, only to find that not only could they not get permission to convert the barn, but that the abandoned farmhouse was no longer considered as a habitation, the land had be re-designated as agricultural, and they could not legally live in the house.

You must check at the mairie what are the land designations for your whole plot (there may be several). Then also guided by J's comment, decide what will be your best market.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
This link may be of some help, https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1633

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:15 pm 

Very many thanks to all who replied - extremely helpful. I'm now going to contact the Maire - who's very approachable, and ask her help.
Very impressed with the forum!
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Brendanxx - it's always nice to hear that someone has found some useful information here !