It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Tips on selling?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:40 pm 

We want to move back to the UK within the next five years, so with the market rather sluggish we will put the house up for sale in the spring.
One agent or many?
Any online agents you can recommend, and to avoid?
Any other general advice!
Many thanks
David
Auvergne 43

Post subject: Re: Tips on selling?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:13 pm 

A couple of odd points to make things go smoothly:
Make sure you tell the agent(s) exactly what land you own & give them a copy of the cadastre if it's not clear.
If you're on non-mains drainage you'll need an up to date (less than 3 years old at time of actual sale signing) drainage report. If you know things aren't up to scratch face the issue now, and either spend & fix it to get a clean report, or get at least two devis in from terrassiers so you know what base to negotiate on. Last-minute arguments about fosses are v common & you can do without that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:18 pm 

We're currently marketing our house, though not to return to the UK.

I couldn't get an agent at the beginning (calls unanswered, messages and emails ignored....). So after an ad on GreenAcres brought lots of enquiries but no viewings, I put an ad on Le Bon coin, after which we had a succession of folk tramping through the house for a month. That ad also brought in agents.
We've now instructed 1 English and 2 French agents, but since they all got the description wrong (in different ways), I remain skeptical.

They're presumably not all so sloppy, but who knows? We sold our last house here through our own efforts.

What I do know is that there are potential buyers - not as many as in spring/summer, but they're definitely lurking.

You'll also need the DPE survey to be done. That was €400.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

I would give one word of warning : Be very wary of UK buyers who want you to agree to a long completion date or anything that is out of the ordinary with French house buying. Some Brits will even suggest moving in and renting before signing the Acte :o House-buying in France is great in that a non-refundable deposit has to be paid - this stops people who aren't serious from pulling out at the last moment, and the ghastly unreliable chain that is so rife in England (Scottish house buying is different).

It's easy to be persuaded to agree to terms that can become very stressful if selling has taken a long time and you are only too pleased to find someone who makes an acceptable offer.

We went to 3 agents, all local but who advertise all over the place, including Le Bon Coin. I would definitely use at least one agent from your area - have a look at the type of properties they sell and whether the ads in the window are very old and faded !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:09 am 

I have a similar question. Decided to sell up in France as don't really have time and as retirement age is being moved further away and starting to realise health is something to consider. Also I want to explore the rest of France, possibly further, and that is easier if you are mobile. I had wanted a house in France for many years, my parents had moved over, and my brother has been living and working in France for over 20 years, so have learned a lot from them and worked out disadvantages and advantages.
Anyway, I emailed one of the wellknown agents, well they advertise in magazines and I think they attend French property exhibitions in UK, but had no reply from email. Not only do I find this a bit annoying, but if potential buyers are trying to email them and they don't reply then they are not going to be able to sell a house that easily.
I had a look at the Le Bon Coin website, which looks like it is in French only, despite having a button to click for foreigners. Lots of different flags but no British flag, so not sure.
Anyway I would like more suggestions, or is it worth ringing up some of the agents who say they speak English. In theory, despite the snow outside here in Lancashire, it is spring/summer so better time to start selling.

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:42 am 

just checked Le Bon Coin website again, and is it a bit like ebay, selling all sorts of thing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm 

It's buy and sell anything, even jobs are advertised but it's NOT an auction site.
As usual, there are scammers and stolen TVs turn up there but you got that in some shape or form on the old newspaper small ad days too. You just have to use your common sense.
You see private house sales, an agents put houses on there too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:36 pm 

As liz says, and I don't think there's a UK equivalent (?). It's the first port of call for the French for property and cars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Just written some irrelevant stuff ...... 8-}

Our local British-run agency did a lot more work to sell our house than her French counterpart in the house we bought. We put our house with 2 French agents who brought a couple of people round at the beginning then nothing.
The Brit agency managed a slow trickle, and after 3 years we finally had an acceptable offer, and have now moved within France.

The price needs to be realistic for the area, type of house and house buying climate. It's best not to be in a rush, but you could be caught by surprise if it sells quickly !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:45 pm 

thanks for answers, which British agency?

When my parents sold up in 2008, the financial crisis had just started , and there were quite a few financial people(Paris ?) who were looking to buy anything reasonable to get their money out of bank, and they sold within a few months. Must have been that quick because I was buying my house by end of that year. I have heard that there are still people in similar positions wanting to get money away from the claws of the banks. My house is in the south, not exactly traditional, being in mountains near to Beziers but still technically in Mediterranean weather zone , but it would make a good commercial project, as it is a town house which could be split into apartments and either then sold or rented off, as is quite typical in the town.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

I've heard people say good things about Green Acres. You could always have a squizz on TF/French Entree - they may well be more clued up on estate agents.

This is the agency we used - Lost in France :
http://www.lostinfrance.com/en/properties-of-exception-and-charm-throughout-france

Whilst they are based in the Loire Valley, they do apparently have tentacles all over France. Whilst our house took a while to sell, it was not due to lack of effort by the agent - they did a lot of advertising !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:42 am 

thanks Blaze, I will drop them a line. They don't have a specific contact point for sellers though. They do have quite a few properties in my area, so they must have contacts there.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:43 pm 

question, do agents ever reply to emails? i have sent emails to 3 now, the first one is wellknown and advertises a lot. The second was the one recommended above, and message via their website. Only received auto reply, so I tried contacting another agent who was based nearer to house, and was advertising in current edition of FPN, but no reply. So Ok, maybe I should ring up, but surely it is easier for an agent to check emails and reply, even if it is just an OK, seen your email, will get back later, or asking me to give them a call.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 pm 

just tried another agent, but had to give them my phone number, and they phoned back very quickly. caught me out a bit. They have also sent me info, and questions etc. Just got to find things now.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:18 pm 

Surprised you got a reply today given that it is a public holiday - but let's hope that is a good sign.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:37 pm 

it is an agent with office in UK, they did sound efficient

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

rue_d_etropal wrote:
question, do agents ever reply to emails?

People seem to be notoriously bad at responding to emails, and these days, with mobile phones, it's not just business folk. I tend to ring people up - at least that way you can be sure of a reply.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:21 pm 

I agree, finding people are not being as responsive as they used to be, but see far too many people glued to their mobiles. From a business point of view it must be more economical to read/send emails. They also have advantage of self auditing so more difficult to deny receipt.

One other question. I have been asked for loads of info about house, most of which I can track down, but I don't remember seeing an equivalent of house deeds. It is possible, very likely they went to the house and are in desk there. Odd thing is, I don't have any recollection, and as house was in a mess at start, it would have been difficult to put them away safely. In UK all houses I have sold , the deeds have been safely kept at solicitors office(just have to remember which one!), and it was not something I was thinking about with my house in France as I was expecting not to be around when it was sold. Odd thing is I have all the other bits of paper passed onto me at the time(I think), and I kept all the tax things etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

I think you'll find that the notaire has the deeds and unless you asked for a copy, you probably won't have one.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 pm 

that is what I think. Nothing could have been sent to house easily, as there was no letter box, and don't think anything as important would have been put under the door. Just a pain. Did not think of asking for the copy of document at the time as I already had bank accounts etc set up, and can't remember the insurance office asking for proof of ownership unless they kept what ever proof copy I had. It was at the end of a long day, the seller needed to get away quickly, and I was with my father . We needed to get away also, so wanted to get things done quickly.
I did find a copy of an email from my notaire, with costs etc, just before the handover, so maybe I should contact the other notaire who actually handled the transaction. I don't want to have to leave it till I am next down in France.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:02 pm 

Blaze wrote:
I think you'll find that the notaire has the deeds and unless you asked for a copy, you probably won't have one.

That's normal!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:06 pm 

We had our house for sale with three estate agents with sporadic interest but no offers.

I put a "For Sale" sign out at the front and the house sold within three weeks - and no fees. So that is my suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:24 pm 

I have tried emailing the notaire, did not expect any reply, and so far no reply. I had originally thought that using one of the agents which advertise in magazines aimed at UK , was best idea, but apart from one calling back, none have responded. Also the one which did call back, did not have anyone local to show people around etc. I had assumed they would be working with local agents, but I would end up doing all the work, or else relying on friends in the town.

I know there are at least 2 agents in the town, but only found details for one online, and comments on another said they were never there. They seem to be part of a chain, and do have English version of website, so they might be a better choice, and being local may be better at getting contact with notaire etc. It being a small town, most local people know every other local person.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:12 pm 

The French hate emails, or is it merely that they do not want to commit themselves to print? An exception is our Dobermann Association Presidente, but she knows I don't go anywhere without one.

It seems to be catching too, an English association I deal with insists on always phoning and only emailing at my absolute insistance.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

I only email people I know will reply ! I no longer leave messages on mobiles - people just press the call back button without listening to the message. I now just leave my name and number and "please call me back".

Even writing to people - if you don't want to risk them saying they never got the letter, you have to send it with avis de reception.

Why has communication become such hard work ?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:54 am 

it is even more frustrating when firms have input pages where you can send messages, but then don't reply. Almost thinking companies need to be told to use email properly if they have it advertised .
Wonder if one reason for people not replying, is that they have become too used to it, take it for granted, it is too easy to use so not actually worth spending time on. Odd thing is, I find it actually wastes less time using email, than phoning. as I used to work in IT, I as used to checking email first job of the day.
I have found I can sometimes get hold of people easier if I email before they get into work , as some will check their email when they get into work. They are far more likely to ignore any messages later on when they are busy.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:53 am 
Site Admin

I agree, RdE - I'm a great fan of email whether for business or for keeping in touch with friends and family. People take it for granted that you are permanently on the end of a phone - I now find I'm routinely asked for my mobile number rather than my fixed line.
I don't know why companies bother to give their email address if they can't be bothered to read and reply to messages. If they receive too many, or lots of junk mail, then that should not become our problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:12 am 

I have need of a change of car, for health reasons, my left leg and right arm/shoulder are causing a lot of pain due to the thousands of miles I do and, to keep costs low avoiding autoroutes, the hundreds of gear changes I make each day.

So, I am looking for a similar vehicle, a Berlingo, but automatic. They are not common at the right price but I saw one on Le Bon Coin which seems in almost every respect ideal. But for one thing, despite being top spec there is no mention of a cruise control, essential for me. Even though the seller specifically stipulates 'no phone calls, only emails', can I get him to answer mine?

Not a bit of it. I am sure the car has such but if it hasn't, why the hell can't he drop a brief line to say so? Grrrrr.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:23 pm 

I have actually had an email back from notaire. Granted they asked me to phone, and I said my French was not that good, but I was going to be there in July. Got a reply very quick, saying OK .
Interesting the first email, had the click to say I had seen email. This used to be an auto feature on all internal electronic mail systems. We used it to find if someone was at their desk, and could then go and see them. I suspect some in business used it to tack their staff. It is not so easy for email, but at least there is something, assuming someone can be bothered to click the button. Would prefer it to be auto every time, but then it would generate a lot of traffic and probably get treated as spam. I will have to see where I can set it on. As Hotmail is now Outlook, it should have some of the old functions I hope.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:35 pm 

Looks like I was right, Because of SPAM, the receipt systems are disabled. Seems thee is something in Outlook, but suspect I would have to buy or load something new.
Anyway, looks like I will have to go and see people when I am in France. I contracted central website for local agent, buy guess what, no reply yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:59 pm 

rue_d_etropal wrote:
I have actually had an email back from notaire. Granted they asked me to phone, and I said my French was not that good, but I was going to be there in July. Got a reply very quick, saying OK .
Interesting the first email, had the click to say I had seen email. This used to be an auto feature on all internal electronic mail systems. We used it to find if someone was at their desk, and could then go and see them. I suspect some in business used it to tack their staff. It is not so easy for email, but at least there is something, assuming someone can be bothered to click the button. Would prefer it to be auto every time, but then it would generate a lot of traffic and probably get treated as spam. I will have to see where I can set it on. As Hotmail is now Outlook, it should have some of the old functions I hope.

You can set a read receipt in Outlook and most other mail clients to let you know when the mail has been opened. I have mine setup to never accept read receipts as do most people.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:46 am 

I think it is possible to set the 'read ' option in Outlook, not sure with purely online version. I don't use Outlook, preferring to use web page version of Hotmail. It does not prove an email had been received, one reason I also like the PM system on forums(assuming I notice when I am sent a message), but more for FB here I find it easiest way to send out messages to friends and family, as it gets ticked a soon as someone opens message so you then know it has been opened. It does sometimes get a pain in ebay, when you respond to a message, then when you get a reply it will keep telling you there is a new message until you then reply again. It might go away if left as I have noticed sometimes.
I wonder if whether sending just a blank message(with default signature), might be a way of saying , message received and read(?).

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:26 pm 

Just got a reply from Le Bon Coin to say that the bloke didn't reply because he didn't know my email address, despite it being there in the original query. However he seems to have made a comment to them 'Vendu dsl', What does that mean, apart from the 'sold' bit anyway?

I get the feeling that he sold it and just couldn't be bothered to reply. Which is what we have been talking about.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Spardo - I think "Vendu dsl" means "Vendu, désolé" - typical text speak :(

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:13 am 

Blaze wrote:
Spardo - I think "Vendu dsl" means "Vendu, désolé" - typical text speak :(

Thanks Sally, I did work it out a little while later, my mind was fixated on 'diesel' beforehand ;-))