It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Are You Selling Or Decorating?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:38 pm 
Sell Sell Sell !

I have got a couple of agents coming round next week to do the papers and all that, well one is from the notaires and put the barrack up for sale. So, I have tried to keep the price low as possible and even kicked into touch one or two agent because their fees are , for me, too high.

So my idea is to sell and not have the house decorating the agents window \ office.

Though . . . . ah, you see, a though, not quite a but , a though none the less. Though (forgotten what I was on about for a minute) I know lots of people selling at the moment who have had their houses for sale for a while (years!). Gone to the effort of tidying up the place and calling in an agent and then not being too bothered if the house sells or not. Then why put it for sale? I think a large factor is the price, that people say they won't drop the price anymore though (ah ha, again) they know full well that the property won't sell at the price it is. So they stay where they are.

See it often in 'Maison À Vendre' with Stéphane Plaza, people have their property for sale and it doesn't sell and so Stéphane Plaza shows them houses the same (as near as) as theirs and that these other places that are cheaper (and in better nick) have sold. One or two people as time goes on have put the house price up!

So, bargain basement me 'cos I want to sell, naturally I would like more, but at a higher price I'd never sell, at least not quickly (hoping I do sell relatively quickly).

Post subject: Re: Are You Selling Or Decorating?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:11 pm 
I think you are right about the price Balham. You hear so many people saying "but it's worth more" not if someone doesn't want to buy it.

There is a house near me which has been on the market for about two years. I don't know the price but it is probably too high. Also The back fence is falling over and held up by pieces of wood. They have a dog who never leaves the garden and they never clean up after her. If prospective buyers ignore the fence then the smell will send them running.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:45 pm 

I think you are dead right. Just had a look at Blaye, where we sold a maison secondaire last year, the six shoddy over priced town houses are still for sale. A couple of new build appartments are still on the market after two years. Our experience is that if it is under € 200,000 and priced correctly they still sell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:43 pm 

How do you know what the correct price is if it doesn't sell at what the agents say it's worth? One agent argued strongly against us dropping our price as he said we would be selling it far to cheaply!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 pm 

You start a list from something like Se Loger. Column headings like :

Date First Listed
Reference Number
Number of rooms
Total square metres
Garden/plot area
Condition ( Great, OK, English Habitable,French Habitable,Some rooms OK,totally pigsty, even my dog would not live there)
Something to identify the place (Pinkest bathroom I have ever seen, Renault 12 in yard, Very Ausitn Powers)
Evaluation (will sell, OKish, total dog)
Agent
Price
Original Price
Mark Down Dates
Cost per square metre

Over two or three months you will find properties go from Se Loger, sometimes because an out of area agent stops paying to list them but mostly because they have sold. It used to take me about 1 hours once a week to update the list and once you have three months data. With the right conditional logic etc you can see which agents have sold most and which are most active.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:35 pm 

one we sold in UK we told the agent to price to sell it was sold within a week for cash and we were more than happy with the price, it pays not to be too greedy , one after that we sold to our son ;)